English Teacher Wanted

ElQueso

Registered
I'm looking for an English teacher to come and teach my wife and a friend here in my apartment.

We have tried many different individuals and one institution and they didn't really learn anything. I don't like most of the methods I've seen for teaching, maybe that's just me (and certainly didn't work for my wife). But most I've seen come with materials photocopied, or we buy booklets, and these booklets, to me, start off at a fairly advanced level for people who maybe have three or four words of English, in an attempt to teach conversational English.

When I learned Spanish and Latin in high school (too damned long ago), we were taught all the basics first. It stuck with me. My sister-in-law, who studies in colegio here, doesn't even understand things like the two different sounds vowels make and how "e" at the end of a word affects the pronunciation (most of the time) of the preceding vowel, and other basics like that.

I'd like to see someone who has a different (perhaps old-fashioned?) approach to teaching English, like teaching basics first (alphabet, pronunciation, grammar, some basic vocabulary), rather than just jumping right off into trying to teach conversational English.

We don't need a certificate, nothing official.

I live about half a block from Plaza San Martin. They might be interested in traveling to someone's place if that's preferable and not too far.

Anyone interested, please drop me a PM.

Hi,

I'm from Ireland and have taught English for a number of years to students with varying degrees of English. I use a lot of my own materials - but these are decided on based on the particular student / students that I am working with. I like to meet the students before I begin any class to learn a little bit about the students, to find out what they want from a class and to find out a bit about their interests etc. I then use this information to help form the basis of my future classes with them. Normally I prepare a plan which we collectively agree on and throughout my classes I work to this plan. Its used purely as a guide - so that we can see how we are progressing and what we are achieving. It is adaptable - if we find that some things aren't working or that the student wishes to change focus etc then we can modify and re-adapt as we progress. The important thing at all times are the students and for them to be benefiting from the classes.

I am currently in Ireland but will be back in Buenos Aires at the end of this month (August). If your wife and friend are still interested please feel free to email me and I can arrange to meet with them.

Kind Regards

Bríd

I've been teaching english at a community center on a volunteer basis for quite some time now. The method I've used is as follows, and we've had excellent results.
Pick a subject, one that is familiar to people, ex: supermarket, hardware store, bakery, school, travel.
1st 1/2 hour, vocabulary, words in spanish, english and phonetic pronunciation
2nd 1/2 hour, read and review vocabulary list (teacher first, about 30 words) and have each student read the list out loud to the class.
3rd 1/2 hour simple sentences with vocabulary words given at beginning.
Important - make it fun, familiar, and always smile and encourage students
Nobody is going to do well at something they associate with being unpleasant.

Our students range from 10 years old to 72 years old. Most spoke zero english prior to coming to our group.
The results have been outstanding, students have advanced a great deal and are excited about learning english.

Hi I'm Eelee,

I've been in Buenos Aires for almost a year now and staying for another year at least. I'm TEFL certified and I'm currently teaching small in-company groups and private students of varying levels, ranging from elementary to business and conversational classes.

I agree about the jumping into conversational English as it doesn't give you any basic for how the language actually works and it becomes quite confusing over time with having to go back and forth. I do use the books as material reference and excercises and like to be more flexible with the class structure and not stop the students when they find something they're really keen to learn.

I speak Spanish, have a neutral English accent and speak very clearly for the benefit of my students, which based on feedback by my students is really appreciated, particularly with the new learners.

Let me know if you'd like to set up a meeting, I travel throughout the week to centro for classes so I don't hava a problem goin down that way.

Thanks!
Eelee

Im irish and working close by. Available for classes up until 7pm mon-fri. Better lunch times and from 6-7pm

Hello,

My name is Lee. Im from California and have been living in BA for 7 months. I am employed full-time at an English Institute and travel throughout the city teaching at the offices of my students. What I find the most useful, besides of course having a structured outline which include the fundamentals of English, are repitition and listening. I would very much like to improve my Spanish and thus, I am interested in exchanging my English for Spanish. If you feel this is a suitable match for your wife, please feel free to email me for more info. at [email protected].

Regards,

Lee

Back