English Teaching Advice

liamjob

Registered
HI everyone,
just arrived in Buenos Aires yesterday, seems all the standard advice on finding English teaching work was not as good as I hoped for. So wondering if anyone who has been here for a while could offer me some advice on the best way to start pursuing English teaching work

Cheers
Liam

Hi Liam

I'm an english teacher here. Lived in Bs As for 3 years teaching english and have taught english in China, India, Korea and Japan in the past. It's VERY different here. So, feel welcome to send me a personal message and I'll tell you what I know about the situation here - and answer any questions you want.

Cheers
Denise

Dolly said:
Hi Liam

I'm an english teacher here. Lived in Bs As for 3 years teaching english and have taught english in China, India, Korea and Japan in the past. It's VERY different here. So, feel welcome to send me a personal message and I'll tell you what I know about the situation here - and answer any questions you want.

Cheers
Denise
me too Denise,although I work in the "Zona Norte" and I have transport, it,s a little easier for me........;)

We are also interested in any advice/info/experiences etc. you may have on teaching English in BsAs. I will send you a PM explaining our situation.

Thanks!

Dolly said:
Hi Liam

Cheers
Denise

Check out this blog to read some info about teaching English in Buenos Aires. It covers a lot of different topics such as finding a TEFL job, interview tips, work etiquette, planning lessons, and more.

BAspanish said:
Check out this blog to read some info about teaching English in Buenos Aires. It covers a lot of different topics such as finding a TEFL job, interview tips, work etiquette, planning lessons, and more.

Well, to be fair, it is not a "blog", it is an advertising website for a TEFL certificate course. All the the TEFL courses in Argentina are of low quality, even if they say they are associated with institutions like "Cambridge" or whatever. However, having a piece of paper that says "TEFL" often gives you an edge in finding positions or courses to teach.

The forum in the blog does have some posts that offer simple and helpful suggestions for classes, however.

There are some very good replies to your inquiry in the Jobs section (as well as some in this section) threads over the years, search them. This inquiry regularly comes up, and those that have answered in the past with helpful and detailed suggestions do not want to keep doing it.:)

Do not mean to be cranky, just SEARCH if you want good info from good people who know.

I'm curious to know what qualifies Mendozanow to declare that "all the TEFL courses in Argentina are of low quality"?! While I would agree that there are some questionable operations out there (naming no names), there are a several course providers in Buenos Aires that have been providing quality training for years, and I'm sure all of them would take exception to your comment.

I should disclose that I am the director of TEFL International's School in Buenos Aires. TEFL International was founded in 1998 and with 28 schools in 20 countries it is now the world's largest provider of TESOL training programs. Our courses adhere to strict standards that exceed industry minimums, our staff are highly qualified and experienced and our TESOL Certificate is well-respected and recognized throughout the world. Website: http://www.teflbuenosaires.com

For sure, not all courses are the same, so if you are interested in becoming TEFL certified, do your homework. Hopefully other reputable course providers will add to this thread.

mendozanow said:
Well, to be fair, it is not a "blog", it is an advertising website for a TEFL certificate course. All the the TEFL courses in Argentina are of low quality, even if they say they are associated with institutions like "Cambridge" or whatever. However, having a piece of paper that says "TEFL" often gives you an edge in finding positions or courses to teach.

The forum in the blog does have some posts that offer simple and helpful suggestions for classes, however.

Just wanted to add that this is a great blog to read, (and is not a forum as members are not able to sign in and write posts). ExpanishTEFL offers a blog with helpful tips to teach english, what to expect in ba, and preparing to be a TEFL teacher. And I do not think it is correct to say that all tefl courses are of low quality in Argentina. There are some fantastic, accredited institutes offering tefl courses here that successfully put English teachers in the education sector in Buenos Aires. Plus, teaching English in Buenos Aires is a great way to make money here while living abroad in Buenos Aires.

liamjob, check this thread, which has various good advice.

http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/4123-teaching-english-argentina.html

Of course, it is good to hook up for some face-to-face with those who have gone thru it. Kudos to those who have offered to meet with you, as that is invaluable.

jaykay, while it is true that I have not taken a TEFL course here, I have talked to several fellow teachers who have, some of whom have taken one with you. It is the basis of my unbiased opinion, though I might be wrong. To "do your homework" means talking to people who have taken the course without being referred by the institute, not reading advertising hyperbole such as:

"Our month-long, 120+ hour, intensive program will provide you with all the necessary skills to begin your career as a professional TEFL teacher with confidence; and our TEFL/TESOL certificate will enable you to find employment throughout the world."

Businesses such as yours often prey on people's hopes and good intentions.

Back