English Words Used in Buenos Aires

Vandalay

Registered
Can anyone direct me to a list of english words that are sometimes incorporated into portenos spanish? like sorry, top, cash, etc. thanks.

You're referring to extranjerismos? Calques. There are so many and they constantly change that I'm not sure if there's a list of them that you could find. Most of them you'll hear on the street: un feeling, un touch, es muy fashion, sale, etc.

"Es muy guau" for wow, or great. Sounds funny because in Spanish the dog's bark is spelled "guau-guau". (In English dogs bark: "whoof, woof")

HIGHBROW - fashionable, in
SALE - in store windows all over town
CONTAINER
IN
COOL

What about "Servicios de LUNCH"

or as seen in a tatoo studio "Yes it does Hurt" :D

or my favourite, of course is "STOUT"

Open is used frequently.
My favorite is FULL. Just pass by any used car lot and on many windshields you will see "FULL".

MAN is also used a lot : "que estas diciendo man ?!"

Like ghost said, full is used too, even repeated twice sometimes "un auto full-full"

Then there are words that are English but aren't used as they are in English, like "zapping".

Or is this used in British/Australian English to say "flip around the channels"?

Anybody from Britain/Australia?

The word "delivery" is much more common now than a few years ago.

One of my favorite Argentine English expressions is a slogan for an Argentine clothing line:

"Where the jean always lives."

Perhaps they used an on line translator. I would have used the following instead:

"Where the jeans live forever."

I hear weird translations like this in commercials for cable television programs, especially the SONY channel.

Back