Entrepreneur/Independent Consultant Club

aboscoe

Registered
Is anyone aware of a club or organization in BA specifically for expat entrepreneurs/independent consultants? I'd be interested in making additional contacts and sharing experiences with others that work independently from Argentina. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi, Been looking for the same thing, if you find it please let me know. I did find this http://www.startmeupargentina.com/
but it doesn't seem to active. And clubeuropeo.com has a business networking night which I was going to try. Keep asking around, but haven't had too much luck. Do let me know how you get on. Cheers, Michelle

Hi guys,

I organize an informal mixer for entrepreneurs and independent contractors called Startups Buenos Aires. We have an after office (happy hour) once a month in a bar usually in Recoleta or Palermo. The group is mainly organized on Facebook. If you don't do Facebook, send me a mail and I'll put you on the mailing list.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Jonathan

Great thread guys. I am coming down for a couple months from San Francisco at the end of February and I will be consulting from Argentina (software consulting).

Question: Do you ever venture out to a cafe with your laptop to work? I've been scared silly with all the news of people being mugged and roughed up for laptops. Is there truth to that? Anyone want to make a working in cafe's in groups security outing?

Would love to meet up with a few other folks doing the same thing!
I'll check out the facebook group and hopefully see you guys soon.

I'm working remotely as well as an interactive developer. So far it has been mostly from my apartment, which can get a little quiet. El Ateneo, which is a bookstore that used to be a theater, has a nice little cafe/lounge in the back. I went there once for about seven hours and they weren't too pushy about letting me hang around, I ordered coffee when I got there and a small-ish lunch.

Another place worth checking out is Cowork Central:
http://www.coworkcentral.com/

Maybe I'll run into some of you at one of these spot or at the next Startups Buenos Aires meetup. Chau!

Maybe a little off-topic, but, are there any Tech-Areas in Buenos Aires? Somewhere where many Technology Companies have offices in that area?

Is Puerto Madero the tech area of BsAs? Are there any other tech areas? Does Argentina have something like Zonamerica in Uruguay?
Could also someone share their experience with renting an office?
Thanks. :cool:

persephone said:
Great thread guys. I am coming down for a couple months from San Francisco at the end of February and I will be consulting from Argentina (software consulting).

Question: Do you ever venture out to a cafe with your laptop to work? I've been scared silly with all the news of people being mugged and roughed up for laptops. Is there truth to that? Anyone want to make a working in cafe's in groups security outing?

Would love to meet up with a few other folks doing the same thing!
I'll check out the facebook group and hopefully see you guys soon.

I've gone to outdoor cafes numerous times with my laptop with no problem or even a thought of a problem. There is a lot of paranoia around this forum. Be cautious, like any big city.

Tom

Ditto to Tom ... I work most days of the week in a cafe and have never experienced even a shred of worry or a hint of threat. Because I go to the same cafe repeatedly, I know the staff keep their eye on my stuff, and I don't have a second thought leaving a Mac Powerbook, cell phone, notebook, and Mt. Blanc pen, to venture upstairs to the toilet. I do tip well, but regardless, it is clear they protect my stuff. Become a regular, tip adequately, and don't worry about it.

Another ditto to the high level of paranoia exhibited among expat here. This is hardly different from any big city anywhere in the world, a few are worse, a few are better, but most are pretty much the same.

Hi HDM... would you mind sharing what cafe this is? I have a hard time trusting people enough to do that in San Francisco but would love to get out of the house a bit :)

Back