Entry Into Arg With Cash

Falcon

Registered
Hello to everyone,

I need to bring some amount of cash, its not large amount, but more that 10000usd allowed to travel without declaration. I found that, if fill "formulario OM.2249-A", it possible to bring cash without problem, it's true? Last time i traveled with large amount without any problem and not declared it, but now i think more control in Eze and i don't want take risks. If anyone has experience please share.

The problem with declaring it is that then the airport/customs guy knows, and he can text his friend, who can rob you. They even have a name for this, I think it's called "salidero", from "salida", the word for exit. (Someone correct me if I have the name wrong). It's more common in banks, I haven't heard if it happening in the airport specifically. But if you don't declare an amount over the limit (10k), and they find it, I think they can confiscate it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The problem with declaring it is that then the airport/customs guy knows, and he can text his friend, who can rob you. They even have a name for this, I think it's called "salidero", from "salida", the word for exit. (Someone correct me if I have the name wrong). It's more common in banks, I haven't heard if it happening in the airport specifically. But if you don't declare an amount over the limit (10k), and they find it, I think they can confiscate it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Can you explain the logistics? Does he get your name and track you down? How would he do that? Or does he somehow manage to have himself hired as your taxi driver?

Can you explain the logistics? Does he get your name and track you down? How would he do that? Or does he somehow manage to have himself hired as your taxi driver?

I'm not an expert, but basically it works like this:

1. Person A gets knowledge of the fact that another person is carrying a large sum of cash on them. This is usually because Person A works in a bank, or in some other position where they have access to this information. A customs officer seems like a position one to me, since they would know anytime someone declares a large sum of cash. (Note that I have NOT heard about this happening with a customs official. I HAVE heard about this happening with someone who just made a large withdrawal from a bank).

2. Person A then notifies their robber friend, probably via text message or voice, that someone has a large amount of cash, and gives a description of the person carrying the cash.

3. The robber waits for the person to exit the bank (or airport, or whatever), and robs the person.

The probability of this happening is probably low, but it happens enough that there is a name for it (As I mentioned, I think it's "salidero"). Also, next time you're in a bank, notice the signs that say "use of cellular is not allowed". I think it's for this reason.

No, argie aduanas dont need to text a buddy to rob you, they can and will do it themselves. If you are foolish enough to obey argie law and declare over US$10 000 on their forms, they will take you to a back room, intimidate and threaten you, shake you up real good until you surrender your cash, or part of it, to them. They make up non existent rules and regulations and will accuse you of carrying counterfeit bills that must be confiscated until they can be examined. Or, they demand your tax returns, to prove the money is legit. Typical argie police m.o. is to steal your property then demand extraordinary proof that it is yours. You will never get it back, you gringo sucker.

I'm not an expert, but basically it works like this:

1. Person A gets knowledge of the fact that another person is carrying a large sum of cash on them. This is usually because Person A works in a bank, or in some other position where they have access to this information. A customs officer seems like a position one to me, since they would know anytime someone declares a large sum of cash. (Note that I have NOT heard about this happening with a customs official. I HAVE heard about this happening with someone who just made a large withdrawal from a bank).

2. Person A then notifies their robber friend, probably via text message or voice, that someone has a large amount of cash, and gives a description of the person carrying the cash.

3. The robber waits for the person to exit the bank (or airport, or whatever), and robs the person.

The probability of this happening is probably low, but it happens enough that there is a name for it (As I mentioned, I think it's "salidero"). Also, next time you're in a bank, notice the signs that say "use of cellular is not allowed". I think it's for this reason.

Rob you as you exit the airport? Seems they'd either have to get an accomplice taxi driver or find out where you were staying. Maybe customs would ask this and perhaps even ask for verification such as your hotel booking. Would be easy to deal with this. Problem is that residents have their address registered in Argentina and that's probably easy to get access to.

Rob you as you exit the airport? Seems they'd either have to get an accomplice taxi driver or find out where you were staying. Maybe customs would ask this and perhaps even ask for verification such as your hotel booking. Would be easy to deal with this. Problem is that residents have their address registered in Argentina and that's probably easy to get access to.

I don't see that as being too much of a stretch. Completely possible that somebody is just milling around waiting for a text from their buddy in Customs.

I don't see that as being too much of a stretch. Completely possible that somebody is just milling around waiting for a text from their buddy in Customs.

Not a stretch to rob you as you exit the airport? Aren't there all kinds of security personnel and cameras at the airport? That's shocking if so. I've never been to an airport that appeared that unsafe.

Not a stretch to rob you as you exit the airport? Aren't there all kinds of security personnel and cameras at the airport? That's shocking if so. I've never been to an airport that appeared that unsafe.

Are you still convinced you are coming to Canada, just with a better weather and a cheaper cost of living?!

Are you still convinced you are coming to Canada, just with a better weather and a cheaper cost of living?!

I've been to Ezeiza several times. Seemed safe. Have you heard of a robbery outside of it as passengers walk out to their taxis/car rentals?

Back