Escape From Fireworksville

EdRooney

Registered
Given the way the Argies usually celebrate the birth of the Prince of Peace by setting off an Assad's share of rockets, the famiglia has resolved to ditch BA this Xmas for less explosive climes. Do any of you fantastic, swell-looking people have recommendations for a quiet holiday getaway that would be well out of screaming rocket range? It doesn't necessarily have to be in Argentina, but within the continent would keep things within budget.

Thanks in advance, and may Vishnu bless us each and all!

Ed

Hi Ed,
I just got back from Ecuador and would reccomend it...I don't know what their customs are regarding fireworks. But in particular, if you go to the Galapagos, I would guess you'd be safe. It's all about preserving a pristine environment. And it's an amazing place. But a bit pricey...otherwise a quiet family beach in Uruguay?
I also spent one Christmas two years ago in the old mountain villages along the Brazilian sierras outside of Bello Horizonte--places like Pret De Oro, and the others. lovely, family oriented Portuguese type villages snuggled in the mountains. They were VERY quiet and laid back, clean and completely safe.

wait..i thought the fireworks were for new years? or is it both?

Hehe, yes I am, in fact...since late August, so my first experience with las fiestas. I'm utterly confused by the snowy christmas decorations when its almost 40 degrees outside. And where I live, the big fireworks were legalized a few years back, so I'm not too worried about the noise, and have experienced a few times now what I have to imagine a war zone sounds like.

on that note, anyone want to open a seasonal fireworks business with me?

The only way to guarantee firework free festivities Ed is to be far away from people. I was thinking of an estancia or eco lodge, or perhaps you might find somewhere screening Nestor Kirchner La Pelicula.

The greatest danger during this period is undoubtedly culinary: pionono, vitel tone, and ensalada rusa - just run if you hear those words mentioned at a festive dinner table.

Sugary tuna or chicken cake,brown slop and cold meat and white slop with veg you mean? Am going to whale into the booze without shame or remorse to line my stomach. Never thought I would miss boring bland turkey and sprouts!

Back