Esma

Phryne

Registered
Hi,

Does anyone have information about visiting la ESMA? I found some email addresses online, but haven't received a response.

Is it open to the public, or must one book a guided visit?

Thanks,

Sonia

pauper said:
You need to book a visit in advance, did you try the email from this site?

No, I tried [email protected], found here.

Someone has since posted further information on the same thread, so I'll also try the number they've quoted - 47045525.

Fingers crossed and thanks.

Sonia

I give up. What is ESMA? Why is it worth a visit.

Thanks.

TomAtAlki said:
I give up. What is ESMA? Why is it worth a visit.

Thanks.

30.000 people were murdered and disappear under the military dictatorship and 'that' place is one of the most notorious but not the unique and also one of the most sinister, many of the children of the 'desaparecidos' were born there.

ESMA

The Navy Petty-Officers School of Mechanics (in Spanish, Escuela de Suboficiales de Mecánica de la Armada, previously Escuela Superior de Mecánica de la Armada.

Human rights violations

Almost 30,000 people were taken and held in the ESMA, and only 150 lived to tell the story. Executions were usually announced as "transfers", as if to other prisons. The prisoners were taken to the basement, sedated, and then killed: some by firing squad (their bodies to be cremated in the nearby sports field), others in "death flights", flown over the Río de la Plata and dumped from the airplanes while unconscious.

Shameful times for this country reminiscent of the Nazi era in Europe.

Who says that there there were 30,000 deaths? Where is the list of the names? actually there is none. It was a number taken out of the hat by the late Nestor K , starting during his term as president. And he was a notorios liar. He used the Goebbels technique where a lie repeated many times becames the truth.
Actually, the only AD HOC commision organized by president Raul Alfonsín listed a little more than 8,000 deaths. And nobody mentions the 1500+ victims of the Montoneros and the ERP terrorists.

HenryNisental said:
Who says that there there were 30,000 deaths? Where is the list of the names? actually there is none. It was a number taken out of the hat by the late Nestor K , starting during his term as president. And he was a notorios liar. He used the Goebbels technique where a lie repeated many times becames the truth.
Actually, the only AD HOC commision organized by president Raul Alfonsín listed a little more than 8,000 deaths. And nobody mentions the 1500+ victims of the Montoneros and the ERP terrorists.

It's the rhetoric used by the Extreme Right here to try to lower their responsabilities.

Funny you cite a Goebbels technique when actually the Junta was also aiming at the Jews because they were Jews (many of the leaders of the Junta were openly antisemitic).
http://desaparecidos.org/notas/2008/03/la-dictadura-argentina-ejecuto.html

Anyway, this debate already occured on this forum so what the heck...

When I read your post Henry Nisental I thought "wow, who's is capable to write such inaccurate nonsense? For years it was this country has been indifferent to the suffering of families of the victims of the Junta but now it's been in a prices of self depuration and the rejection of the Junta and it's civilians troops is common sense, even the rightwing candidates are suddenly supporting human rights ngo's. Only ignorants, liars en cheaters are still wondering around with posts liker yours.

Back