Espadrille or alpargata

wcbaytoven

Registered
Can any friend help me? I must find to buy a set of these type of shoes, with the rope on the bottom. I have looked all over. In my walking to search for these shoes, I have put holes in my own shoes, so that now I cannot wear them and I have no shoes anymore. I need shoes bad, this town is no place for a shoe-less man of dignity. And I will only wear this type of shoes. It is the dream of my life, to have them.

I saw a photograph once, of a store which had hundreds of them. The man who made the photo said that he could not recollect where he had seen this store. But it was Recoleta, he said. I carry this photograph with me all the time.

I will go anywhere in this city, to buy these kinds of shoes. I only need the plain kind, not with designs and pictures on them. Where do the people get them? It must be some kind of secret. Is it because I am a negro, and have dark-colored skin, that they will not tell me? I have asked a man on the street who was wearing them. Please help me. I cannot go to see about finding a job without shoes on.

Thank you.

Uncle Dermot's link looks the ticket, but I'd also wager you can find what you're looking for in Once.

I think you want/need a traditional alpargata. They are sold mostly at the shoe repair shops. I remember I saw it recently at Ayacucho street, between Av Santa Fe and Marcelo T de Alvear, going towards Av Santa Fe, on the right hand.

There's a shop at Plaza Italia, right on the corner of Santa Fe with Borges that always has bunches on display.

Of course, when I want alpargatas I just head to Retiro and head into one of the little galerias on the side of the San Martin station. They are cheaper, but I suppose there is somewhat of a risk implied...

I have seen them being sold by various street vendors. Out near the bus station in Retiro; on Florida and so on.
Certainly they are cheap too!

I thank the each and each one of you. I could not have done the shoes without help. I will check these places, with luck I will find them. I will run in a foot race with the shoes, and if I win I will tell them the people here are to thank. For if not them I would be running in the foot race without shoes. A man tells me once, a rope shoe is the best for running.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Expat Life 7
T Expat Life 16
Back