Essentials for a long bus trip?

B

Bianca

My husband and I are going on an overnight bus to Mendoza soon. I've never been on a bus for this length of time before (14 hours?!) and just wanted some advice from seasoned bus travelers. :) Any essentials that we should bring? Blankets and pillows? We're going Cama Suite... so would that be provided? Are there power outlets on the bus? Anything out of the ordinary that you can think of that we should have in our carry on luggage? Any other tips for getting through a long buss ride?

Something to eat, drink, read, maybe a laptop or IPod and maybe a deck of cards.

You would probally sleep atleast 6 to 10 hours, so it's really not that long

A Sweater/Pullover to keep you warm! They really like to put the Aire Acondicionado at the maximum, so it can get chilly. And a bottle of water always comes in handy. And yeah, like BlahBlah said: something to read if you get bored.

If you are into playing cards or chess or something like that, bring a travel version. That will get you going for a couple of hours

Water, and a light snack but the most important is one of those inflatable pillows for your neck. It will stop your head wobbling around and you'll sleep much better. If you can't find one just use a normal pillow.

14 hours isn't so bad and the bus you'll be on will be lovely i'm sure.

Last time I was on a bus here I was woken twice. The first time to be asked if I wanted a glass of champagne (well fizzy wine) and the second time to ask if I wanted a glass of whiskey!!!!

So it really wasn't such a hardship.

Enjoy

Thanks all, great advice! Rich, not bad reasons to be woken up, eh? I could deal with that... :)

Definitely good to know that they keep it chilly on the bus... I get cold easy and will be bring along pullovers and warm socks for sure! Thanks!

Bianca

Buses here are very comfortable and the time will pass quickly. I have never used the "cama suite" but the regular coche cama is business class comfy and I'm sure the cama suite is even nicer.

I second the "warm sweater" suggestion, and you may want to stop by the local farmacia and ask for Alplax (Zanax), which is cheap here, and usually available over-the counter (or just under). 1/2 mg. puts me to sleep for at least 10-12 hours!
If you want something a little gentler, ask for "Somit" (Ambien)

I think you'll find that compared to the hassle airports have become, the bus is the BEST way to travel in Argentina.

Enjoy your trip...

David

captdave said:
I second the "warm sweater" suggestion, and you may want to stop by the local farmacia and ask for Alplax (Zanax), which is cheap here, and usually available over-the counter (or just under). 1/2 mg. puts me to sleep for at least 10-12 hours!
If you want something a little gentler, ask for "Somit" (Ambien)

I never realized you could by that here over the counter (or just under! lol). I usually sleep like a baby on car rides... so I think I'll be ok without the Xanax. Might get some Ambien/Somit just to be safe (or in case it's a particularly scary driver)... thanks for the tip!

Back