Estafas

fifs2

Registered
I have always felt that I have been a lucky person, enjoying a very happy life. In 6 years living here I have been the subject of 3 heavy duty "estafas"..or basically cons, aside from the usual ones employed to rob you in the street by spilling mayonnaise on you.
The 3 cons have involved professional middle class Arentineans..of what looked like good character stealing money in large quantities..involving me and others. One example

My son`s kindergarten - a large local school with 120 children all under 5, running for 25+ years. The Director (whom we met at the initial interview) basically closed the school overnight, locking the doors and fleeing the country with not only the parents monthly quotas, the sale of the school building to a developer but also 3 months back pay of the 30 or so staff, some of whom had worked for her for 15 years and considered her a friend. The other 2 cons were basically along the same lines.

Now I`m facing a 4th one..this time involving possible extortion and have had my office robbed, my phone line tapped (I know..Im in shock I just heard)...what the hell is happening? Aside from many of you thinking I have the word "naive idiot" on my forehead has anyone else seen this trend and is there hope that good wins over bad eventually???:mad:?

Wow give more details about this extortion, what's happening exactly??

Last year someone tried to exort $20 000 from me however that wasn't in Argentina. The worst that's happened to me here is losing a $600 security deposit from a dodgy apartment owner.

fifs2 said:
I have always felt that I have been a lucky person, enjoying a very happy life. In 6 years living here I have been the subject of 3 heavy duty "estafas"..or basically cons, aside from the usual ones employed to rob you in the street by spilling mayonnaise on you.
The 3 cons have involved professional middle class Arentineans..of what looked like good character stealing money in large quantities..involving me and others. One example

My son`s kindergarten - a large local school with 120 children all under 5, running for 25+ years. The Director (whom we met at the initial interview) basically closed the school overnight, locking the doors and fleeing the country with not only the parents monthly quotas, the sale of the school building to a developer but also 3 months back pay of the 30 or so staff, some of whom had worked for her for 15 years and considered her a friend. The other 2 cons were basically along the same lines.

Now I`m facing a 4th one..this time involving possible extortion and have had my office robbed, my phone line tapped (I know..Im in shock I just heard)...what the hell is happening? Aside from many of you thinking I have the word "naive idiot" on my forehead has anyone else seen this trend and is there hope that good wins over bad eventually???:mad:?

Wow ! If your phone line has been tapped, file a denuncia policial right away (anti Constitutional).

As for scams here, it's a national sport.

Does good wins over bad eventually ? There's a french say : "la vérité ne triomphe jamais mais ses adversaires finissent toujours par mourir" (truth never wins but its opponents always end up dying).

Hi
I don`t want to say well this is Argentina I only hope the bad guys don`t win, don`t let this happen to you if possible, don`t feel you are naive this can happen to anyone either local or foreigner anyone can be cheated, in fact Iam local and I was almost cheated once years ago!

Hey, when I was growing up (not all that long ago actually), my neighbor (and the dad of my best friend) invested in a new bank with a bunch of other wealthy tech-boom era employees. The guy starting the bank was a co-worker and good friend of all of them, he drew them in with unrealistic interest rates and promises of tax avoidance help.

Greedily my neighbor dumped almost all his money in the bank. Few months later his 'friend' took off with 5 million dollars of my neighbors money as well as that of all the other depositors' and is now living in some banana republic with all his fortunes.

So basically what i'm saying is...it could always be worse.

Back