Estimated number of expats?

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hey,

I know this is a nearly impossible question to answer, but how many expats do you think are living in Buenos Aires currently?

I'm thinking of expats that are living in Buenos Aires completely by choice, not so much for economic or political reasons, or immigrants from neighboring countries that come for better living conditions. Most likely from countries like the United States, UK, Australia, etc. Probably living in the city for 6+ months. I'm guessing someone is going to find something wrong with my definition of an expat, but you know what I'm getting at!

Obviously this number changes everyday, but I was just wondering what a rough estimate would be.

Thanks!

I think the main problem with finding an accurate answer to your question is the fact that the only official data regarding those numbers would be collected by immigrations - And I doubt very much that people here for 6 months or so would bother/be able to apply for a visa.
I read recently that there are around 1,000 French nationals living (legally) in Argentina atm...and that there are also around 3,500 European students studying here (a number which I personally believe is way too high).
I can't imagine the number being that great to be honest...especially as far as true, long-term, legal immigrants are concerned. I'd say that at least 70% of the expats I've met here, even those living here long-term, have been leaving over the past couple of years... so either way, I'm sure the number is slowly falling.

Interesting question.
I searched a bit for figures since the number of 1000 french nationals living here legally semt very little to me.
Official stats I found include foreigners living here because some of their ancestors came to live here back to one century ago, I didn't find more precise stats.
- French : on dec. 31 2009, almost 15.000 french were inscribed at the Consulate, I guess you can easily add 5000 to 10.000 "expatourists". Interestingly this number keeps growing.
- Italians : seems that there are 600.000 Italians living here, number is high for obvious reasons
- Spanish : number should be quite high as well (100.000 ??)
- Germans : 1991 census gave almost 16.000 Germans

Problem as mentionned before is that among those who are inscribed many are not defined as expats, referring to the OP while many are not inscribed and are expats.

I wonder what estimates are for the US, Canada ?
- Germany :

Can't guestimate an overall figure, but when I was at my embassy at Christmas, it was mentioned by the Ambassador that there are 300,000 in Argentina who claim Irish heritage... Obviously this goes back a few generations, rather than recent arrivals like myself, but still quite a staggering figure, and apparantly the second largest diaspora from Ireland.

As for present first generational Irish who are now based here, the figures are probably well under 50, but I'm guessing from those I have met at functions etc., many will steer clear of such events and steer their own paths.

For what it's worth I remember hearing once that there were an estimated 75,000 americans living in BA as expats, but I don't remember the source, and that was a couple of year ago... .

MizzMarr said:
For what it's worth I remember hearing once that there were an estimated 75,000 americans living in BA as expats, but I don't remember the source, and that was a couple of year ago... .

Wow, that's way more than I would have guessed

MizzMarr said:
try doubling that figure:rolleyes:

I remember hearing that there are 60,000 US expats in Argentina, but again, that's just something I heard, I have no idea where the number actually came from....

Back