EUR or USD

Patrick1988

Registered
Hi guys,

I will be arriving in Buenos Aires from Germany soon and have already read about the blue dollar rate. Considering that I am planning to bring 2000 EUR in cash, will I receive more pesos when directly exchanged at a cambio for EUR against ARS or if I exchange my euros into USD in Germany first, then exchange that dollar amount at a cambio at the blue dollar rate? Many thanks for your advice!

Euro blue is supposed to be 242.
Today’s exchange rate Eur to USD = 1.13
242/1.13 = 214
Dolar blue is 219.
So there is a small margin that you lose vs the true exchange rates,
However when you change your EUR to USD I would think you‘ll lose more than +/- 2%.

Cuevas take Euros, USD and GBP all the same.
So just take your Euros, in big denomination notes,

Hi, Patrick, I think Ronnie is right if all you want to do is buy pesos though you might want to see what sort of rate you might get if you send yourself money via Western Union. Don't underestimate the value of having actual USD in your pocket because they are appreciated far more than GBP and EUR by individual Argentines.

In the UK I get a particularly good rate for buying new USD100 bills at one particular exchange office in my town so I buy some there and bring them but use WU for everyday cash.

It's probably worth your while to compare all your possible routes to pesos for both convenience and value before you leave Germany.

Thank you both for your replies! I also read that USD is more appreciated than EUR, hence my question. WU is certainly my second choice for getting cash, however I wasn't sure how much of a hassle it actually is of picking it up down there. Aren't waiting times long and aren't many WUs out of cash during pick up?

If you change your EUR 2000 to USD you’ll get approx 2152 according to google:

2152 * 219 = 471288
2000 * 242 = 484000

Yes some places will take USD direct where they wouldn’t take EUR but can’t really see the point. You’re around 13000pesos better off with just EUR?
That’s a slap up meal for 2 in a very swanky restaurant. Or a lot of extra beer :)

In a slightly on topic side comment, Americans always have the advantage of getting euros and pounds without charge since Europe is full of atms with no fees. No such atms exist in the US.

In a slightly on topic side comment, Americans always have the advantage of getting euros and pounds without charge since Europe is full of atms with no fees. No such atms exist in the US.

There's the Global ATM Alliance which saves you money on the fee which is nice, i.e. Barclays/PNP Parisbas/Deutsche Bank customers can use Bank of America ATMs for free in the US, and Scotiabank in Canada/Mexico/Chile/Caribbean. You still pay the markup on the mid market rate, but it's not a bad option to get cash locally with the 5 USD/GBP/EUR fee.

There's the Global ATM Alliance which saves you money on the fee which is nice, i.e. Barclays/PNP Parisbas/Deutsche Bank customers can use Bank of America ATMs for free in the US, and Scotiabank in Canada/Mexico/Chile/Caribbean. You still pay the markup on the mid market rate, but it's not a bad option to get cash locally with the 5 USD/GBP/EUR fee.

I prefer no fees and no markup and getting all my money. Most countries have free atms. You just have to be smart enough to not use the cheat atms and NEVER EVER accept when an atm tells you to do the conversion. Most people don't know they can just click decline and still get the money. According to the conversion rate when I google what it should be for whatever currency in that instant, I always seem to get somewhere between 99.5 to 101 percent of what google tells me.

Quick Update:

I have chatted with someone from Cambio Baires (https://www.cambiobaires.com.ar/ )

They are offering 250 ARS for 1 EUR. That's pretty great, if they aren't fooling me.
In this case I'll just stick with EUR and exchange directly on arrival.

Back