European Visa/residency Question

lucha54

Registered
Any Europeans who lived with their Argentine partners (non-EU citizen Argies) over there? We are thinking about going to work a season and I was hoping for some first-hand advice from an Argy or partner of an Argy who went through the process....

This is vague. How long will you stay? Are you an EU national? How long have you been with your partner?

Common-law partners of EU citizens can often get visas if it can be proved they are together in a defacto marriage for at least 2 years. That is if they intend to work. If not working can enter without visa for 3 months and extend this for 3 months if necessary.

I have a passport from an EU country and we have been together for almost 3 years, living together more than 2 (not sure how this can be proven though). We're not sure how long to stay because I heard it takes partners/spouses up to 3 months to get residency and right-to-work papers.

I will PM you with more specific questions! Thank you!

Your partner will be subject to your particular destination country's immigration laws, and then once they have residency there they may move within the EU under EU immigration laws.

In the case of the UK, the non-married spouse visa is tough to get and if you are not sure that you can prove two years minimum of co-habitating, through either a legalised rental contracts or bills addressed with both of your names, then do not waste time and money as you will not succeed.

All EU countries must let non EU spouses live and work in the EU. This is EU law. The problem arises in that not all EU countries recognize defacto marriage and also the degree to which they recognize this. Spain and the UK do recognize defacto marriage with some kind of civil partnership document.
I am not sure how to obtain this in Argentina but I think it can be done with some kind of proof of a long term cohabitating relationship.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/family/couple/registered-partners/index_en.htm

In Italy, no way they are recognizing anything that is not an heterosexual marriage.
This is a very hot topic in Italy, but there is a strong catholic opposition to same sex marriages and de facto unions as well as civil unions (like Spanish PACS). A lot of Italians get married abroad and then try to have their marriage recognized in Italy, but they inevitably fail.

Recently the major of Rome "recognized" some same-sex marriage being transcribed in Rome, but he was promptly attacked by opponents saying that "he has no authority to accept any marriage different than the one recognized by the Italian law".

Even heterosexual civil unions are NOT recognized.

OK let's say we do a civil marriage first (heterosexual) and let's say the country in question in Spain, tentatively. Anyone who has actually gone through this process and can tell me how long it took and what was needed?

Let's assume I can't get any certification of de facto relationship from Argentina...

If you can't get the civil partnership document here you could get it in Spain. Ring them at the Spanish embassy to clarify. Do not tell them at immigration (entering the EU) your partner intends to work. Just say you are on holidays and get the documents once you are in Spain. If you are living together 3 years you'll need some manner of proving that. If you can prove it then your partner has all the rights of an EU citizen in Spain.

We are considering UK possibly and probably just going to get civil marriage here before going...
one thing I forgot to mention. I have EU passport but never lived in the EU myself! So I will need to apply for residency also once I arrive which should only take a matter of weeks but also looking for anyone with first hand experience who was once in a similar situation... maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here. :huh:

Back