Euros To Dollars?....possible?

R&O

Registered
Hello all,

A newcomer to Buenos Aires here with a fairly ignorant question.

I have to go to Bolivia at some point this year and I would like to exchange some euros to dollars, is it possible here? Anybody have an idea of where?

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Hope you are well

R&O

Most cuevas change between ARS and USD/EUR, so they will most likely also change between USD/EUR (although the spread might be a bit higher).

Many thanks.

Again forgive the ignorance, las cuevas? where are they, are they safe to use?

Try contacting a western union in Bolivia to see if they can exchange your euros for usd. When I was in Bolivia last year, there were also little kiosks that exchanged euros and dollars for bolivianos. That might be an option as well. If you need usd before getting into Bolivia, I would recommend a day trip to Uruguay by ferry and going to a western union. Also, you could try reaching out to fellow travelers in BA who are returning home and have USD to exchange. I've also had luck exchanging with businesses in BA. In particular, business owners who save hard cash in foreign currency would be a good bet to ask, however this might require knowing somebody well enough in order to get in touch with such a person.

I'd try Western Union first (outside of Argentina, since WU in AR do not have USD). If that doesn't work, then start asking around. Otherwise, find a cueva or wait until you are in Bolivia and find a place that will exchange.

I hope this helps! I've personally had great luck with WU in Paraguay and Bolivia.

Try contacting a western union in Bolivia to see if they can exchange your euros for usd. When I was in Bolivia last year, there were also little kiosks that exchanged euros and dollars for bolivianos. That might be an option as well. If you need usd before getting into Bolivia, I would recommend a day trip to Uruguay by ferry and going to a western union. Also, you could try reaching out to fellow travelers in BA who are returning home and have USD to exchange. I've also had luck exchanging with businesses in BA. In particular, business owners who save hard cash in foreign currency would be a good bet to ask, however this might require knowing somebody well enough in order to get in touch with such a person.

I'd try Western Union first (outside of Argentina, since WU in AR do not have USD). If that doesn't work, then start asking around. Otherwise, find a cueva or wait until you are in Bolivia and find a place that will exchange.

I hope this helps! I've personally had great luck with WU in Paraguay and Bolivia.

You will pay the spread twice: first Euro to AR$, then AR$ to USD, so you will lose some extra 5-6%.
Why would you need cash USD in Bolivia? If you have euros, just use them there or simply use the ATM's., in both cases you will lose less money in transaction costs.

Last time I was checking, they enabled official change between usd and euros. Also bcra is reporting daily exchange rates. I never tried, but they explicitly stated this on their website. I'm not sure how much you lose or gain, but is worth to check. Foreigner can maybe do this without hassle.

Also, euro in Argentina is quite expensive, so you shouldn't loose much, but opposite way is too expensive.

Back