Everyone is Middle class?

kre8ivelyXposed

Registered
From today's NY TIMES.......notice the correlations mentioned in the article between Argentina and the US.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/everyone-is-middle-class-right/?ref=business

April 27, 2011, 9:30 am
Everyone Is ‘Middle Class,’ Right?

By CATHERINE RAMPELL I’ve been complaining lately about how how surprisingly little Americans know about income distribution and their own place within it. Americans all seem to think they’re “middle class,” even those in the top 5 percent of all earners. As a result they frequently misunderstand what political mantras like “let’s tax the rich” really mean.
But it turns out such income ignorance is not confined to Americans.
A new working paper by Guillermo Cruces, Ricardo Pérez Truglia and Martín Tetaz finds that Argentinians also all believe themselves to be middle class, whatever their actual standing relative to their countrymen.
The study is based on a March 2009 survey of 1,100 households representative of greater Buenos Aires. Researchers gathered data on respondents’ actual household income, and compared those numbers to respondents’ perceptions of their own rankings within the income distribution for all of Argentina.
They found that everyone thought they were basically middle class. Poor people consistently overestimated their rank, and rich people consistently underestimated their rank:
economix-26argentinaincome-custom1.jpg
Source: Guillermo Cruces, Ricardo Pérez Truglia and Martín Tetaz, “Biased perceptions of income distribution and preferences for redistribution: Evidence from a survey experiment.”
The authors suggest that this misperception may be related to the types of people respondents interact with, and therefore use as a reference point. If you’re mostly exposed to people earning about as much as you, you’re likely to think your earnings are average.
An incorrect assessment of one’s own standing in the income distribution can have significant public policy implications. In Argentina as in the United States, it can lead to skewed perceptions of income inequality, as well as misinformed opinions about what kind of tax and social safety policies are prudent, fair or necessary.
In the Argentina study, for example, respondents were eventually informed about whether their own rankings estimates were too high or too low. This news changed people’s policy attitudes. People who thought they were relatively richer than they actually were started to demand higher levels of income redistribution when told they were actually relatively poor. After all, learning that they were poorer than they had believed also meant they’d be more likely to benefit from redistributive policies than they originally believed.
“This relationship between biased perceptions and political attitudes provides an alternative explanation for the relatively low degree of redistribution observed in modern democracies,” the authors write. Additionally, they argue that misinformation about one’s socioeconomic standing can also help explain why low-income voters in the United States support tax cuts for the rich — the so-called “What the matter with Kansas?” effect.

Though those poor folks in Kansas say, "well at least I'm not one of those poor sodding bastards from West Virginia, that's poor."

I am pretty sure nobody in the entire state of Kansas uses the term "sodding" except when they are talking about putting new strips of recently purchased rolled up grass on their lawn...

I read the article and it says people miss-perceive their income standing and that this leads to some sort of public policy implications(no examples given). I found the article fuzzy and sort of nebulous as a result. I guess it has something to do with income distribution i.e. wealth concentrated in few hands - bad, income more evenly distributed -good, but I'm not really sure. I not sure what they mean by whats the matter with Kansas effect either.

Ok, I did a little more checking and now understand what's meant by the Kansas effect. I guess if you buy this then all these people are dumb yokels voting against their own self-interest in not voting for higher taxes on the rich. I guess this is possible but it doesn't seem very likely to me. My guess is that someone from rural Kansas doesn't utilize much in the way of government services versus say someone in NYC. Not surprisingly the person Kansas is in favor of low taxes and limited government, as they are not a big beneficiaries of government services. This would seem to me a more logical explanation of their voting patterns. Of course they would be the first ones to defend government farm subsidies, that would be one part of the spending they would support. Perhaps they would vote differently if it were sold to them that subsidies would have to be cut unless taxes on the rich were raised.

The Kansas effect does have to do with people of modest means voting AGAINST political persons and parties who do could actually vote for what is "likely in those peoples' best interest". Thomas Frank ( I think is his name) wrote this book called "What's the Matter with Kansas?" It was well received among the "intellectual class" in the USA a few years back. Ironically, many people in the heartland of the US DO receive a LOT of government services (albeit indirectly) through tax incentives/credits, farm subsidies, Medicare, Social Security etc to name a few but they will believe that it is the "welfare queen" city dwellers who are sucking up all of their tax dollars. Hence, they just want lower taxes at all costs.

What I find most interesting on this is that so many people actually believe that they have more wealth than they actually do. I have seen other reputable surveys indicating that 25% of American believe they have the chance to have over 1,000,000 USD in a retirement portfolio before they retire when in actuality the average 401K balance is about 50,000 USD in the US! It is total illusion. People tend to just hang out with other likeminded friends and neighbors and compare their own apples to their friends' apples. But, they can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

Personally, in Argentina, I see a lot more "class resentment" than I see in the USA which is ironic given the fact that according to recent statistics 1 out of 5 people in the US actually QUALIFY for Food Stamps although no where near that amount claim the benefits. And 1 in 5 or 6 six children in the USA is living in poverty.....another sickening statistic considering the wealth of the country. But the class system in Argentina seems more "in your face" . I don't know if it is because the USA is so much bigger and the population so spread out that people just don't see the problems so readily like what is happening in for example Detroit.....much easier for the media to report on Hollywood and popular culture where wealth abounds.

Gini_Coefficient_World_CIA_Report_2009-1.png

(The higher the number, the more unequal the society)

Check out the Gini Coefficient (a measure of income inequality)!
Argentina has a rating of 45.7 while the United States has 45. Click here for the whole list!

It is interesting to see the perceptions against the facts. This correlates with another study I read last week. It discussed how the vast amount of the poor in the USA would be more willing to vote against taxing the rich. The study exemplified that there is a general belief of individualistic opportunity among the poor and the idea of the self made man. One day they see themselves to be part of the rich class, and hence, the poor surveyed, did not want to tax themselves in the future ...

Use of the term "middle-class" to mean middle-income is an interesting spin, and presumably American. The term "middle-class" in Britain is historically well defined and does not depend on income, which makes me curious about other European countries.

gouchobob said:
Ok, I did a little more checking and now understand what's meant by the Kansas effect. I guess if you buy this then all these people are dumb yokels voting against their own self-interest in not voting for higher taxes on the rich. I guess this is possible but it doesn't seem very likely to me..
Remember the guy in the demonstration against the Obama medical plan in the US, who got injured and had no medical coverage himself?

I never call that sort of people birdbrains, 'cause last time I did, the chicken farmers sued me for slandering poultry - and won.

Back