Ex asking for $600,000 ARS / $2150 usd as child support

Fiscal

Registered
Most people know my hilariously tragic situation in some detail but I have an ex gf who lives in a small town of 60,000 in the province of Santa Fe. We have two kids, one is nearly 4 now. The other is 18 months.

I’ve been giving my ex $2000 a month via Western Union…so about 600,000 ARS depending on the rate Western Union is giving me.

I hired a lawyer in Capital and told him to get me a written agreement with her about an amount appropriate under the laws of Argentina. He told me to have my ex send me a budget of expenses, that $2k was ok for CABA but high for a pueblo.

So I ask my ex, and she sends me a list that adds up to $2150. Biggest expenses are $800 for groceries, $180 for the “rent” she pays to her mom for a house that is in my ex’s name, $195 for the nanny, and $114 for health care.

I told the lawyer that seemed crazy. He said it was high but also asked if I really wanted to fight over a few hundred dollars a month. I told him I’m happy to pay for what’s appropriate and best for the kids, but I’m tired of financing my ex’s entire family and ex’s ability to not have a job.

I send the budget to my therapist (Argentinian) who says it seems ok and not an exaggeration.

I send the budget to my best friend in Argentina, a cheto in Las Cañitas, who says it seems fine.

Still seems really high to me, but wanted to get thoughts of expats, because every Argentinian I ask seems to be of the mind of “oh just pay it.” I know if I agree to $2150 now, my ex is going to ask for $3150 in a couple years.

En tanto, durante agosto, los salarios promedio más altos fueron los ... de medicina con $340.208 por mes para los niveles senior y semi senior.
Each of your kids will be getting paid as a high level medical doctor.

you should stipulate that she provides evidence with factura of these payments in the past. not just making numbers on paper.

the groceries sound the most absurd. I don't know how you possibly spend 800 usd a month even at the official rate, that's 120k.

Probably easiest to pay it as long as it is affordable and you can manage it for the next 16 1/2 years. Accept that there will be a significant overpayment. She is going to bank the rest of her life on those excess payments so if she is only spending half of what you pay her it is probably acceptable.

I went to the pueblo today and saw she is building a second floor on her house.

you should stipulate that she provides evidence with factura of these payments in the past. not just making numbers on paper.

the groceries sound the most absurd. I don't know how you possibly spend 800 usd a month even at the official rate, that's 120k.
I didn’t know they had Whole Foods in Argentina!

Not sure why kuds need a nanny if mom does not work. Also do they go to public school? My guess on the 800 usd groceries is that it includes clothing, meds, haircuts, entertainment. The rent bit sounds bs.

Sounds inflated, but if you can afford it and it goes to your kids and their family, it is not all that bad.

Not sure why kuds need a nanny if mom does not work. Also do they go to public school? My guess on the 800 usd groceries is that it includes clothing, meds, haircuts, entertainment. The rent bit sounds bs.
No the $800 was just for groceries. She had separate categories for stuff like meds and entertainment. How much can a haircut cost? I go to cerini in Palermo and it’s $2900

Sounds inflated, but if you can afford it and it goes to your kids and their family, it is not all that bad.
Sure I can afford it but it isn’t going all to her kids. She is giving her mom $180 for “rent” on her own house. When we were together, it was $100, and I asked why, and she said her mom needs the money to run her zapatería. So I’m funding her mom’s zapatería. Yeah $180 isn’t huge but still, they are taking advantage of me.

Back