Exchange pesos to dollars

odyssea

Registered
I can electronically transfer money from my US account to my Argentine checking account, however the bank will convert dollars to pesos automatically at 4.25. If I want them to change to dollars they will do this at 5.X. Is there a way that I can get more than 1000 USD without paying this bad exchange rate? Do I need to go to Miami to get dollars and then bring them here? What are my other alternatives. Chile? Uruguay? I do not have accounts there...but can do ATM. Please send PM

You can go to Colonia in Uruguay and take USD bills from any ATM (limit of 300 USD per withdrawal + the daily withdrawal limit of your card).
Well worth the trip if you can withdraw 2 or 3K in one day.

Hi French jurist,

I am a new member just joined now, your answer to Odyssea's question is most helpful. So that would be if the account was in US only, right? If the account had pesos, the ATM would not spit US$ in Uraguay, is this correct or will it too??

Thank you for your knowledge.

WWT

Hi WWT,

If the account is in USD (doesn't matter if the account is in the US or not, mine is not), it works for sure.

If the account is in Pesos (Argentinean pesos?), the Argentinean limits would apply I guess (not too sure about them: having a local account in USDs I guess). On that point, others might have a better opinion.

why don't you just do a case de cambio transfer of dollars in negro and pay the 1-2% and be done with it.

What about Xoom? Just look at all the other threads in the forums about it.

Back