Exchanging European plug for Argentina plug?

Love to Travel

Registered
Hello All!
I am moving to BsAs from France soon, I know that Argentina and France both use 220 volts. Does anyone know if you can take, say, a toaster to an electrician in Argentina and have him exchange the european plug for a new argentine plug so you are able to use the toaster without a converter? Thanks!

No reason why not. You can also buy plugs with screw down connectors (typically Type I three pin) from any electrical shop and wire it up yourself if you feel competent to do so. They are very cheap: I think I paid about 150 pesos each when I bought some about 4 weeks ago.

I could be wrong but I believe both plug and socket are called "enchufe" so you need to ask for "enchufe macho" if you want a plug.

Hello All!
I am moving to BsAs from France soon, I know that Argentina and France both use 220 volts. Does anyone know if you can take, say, a toaster to an electrician in Argentina and have him exchange the european plug for a new argentine plug so you are able to use the toaster without a converter? Thanks!
Yes, very easy to do this yourself. Just buy argentine plugs and change them. I have done this with all our UK appliances.

You only need an adaptor that sells for about US 1.10 at any Hardware store..!

Question? Is my suggestion not valid ..?

-Convierte fácilmente los enchufes UK / EU / AU a US

-Incluso adaptable para enchufes de tipo UE.

Last edited:
Stateside we use Black & White, and the fixtures have color-coded contacts. All we have to remember is "white to silver, black to gold"

Argentina don't play like that. Here the deal is -

Blue is Neutral, Brown is Line or "fase"
Ground (or Earth) in modern applications is the same yellow-green as everywhere, but older places here in Argentina may have a White ground wire.

On the fixtures you will need a bright light and maybe a pair of reading glasses, but somewhere on the inside there will be a little N for Neutral or L for Line embossed in the plastic. Not nearly as convenient as the color coded contacts, if you ask me, (but 45 million argentinos don't give a shit what I think about it)

The plug, being a male connector is enchufe macho, and the socket or outlet, being a female connector, is enchufe hembra. It is my sincere suggestion that you pay careful attention to the ratings of the fixtures sold here; I have found them to be a bit optimistic. If you want a heavy-duty fixture, that's robusto

I'm sure you know this, but you can take the wattage of the appliance, divide it by 220 (the voltage) and get find out how many amps of power the little doodad is going to suck. Because this dude named Ohm said "A*V=W"

Question? Is my suggestion not valid ..?

-Convierte fácilmente los enchufes UK / EU / AU a US

-Incluso adaptable para enchufes de tipo UE.
yep, that's all you need. but i guess OP wants to avoid using those

Hello All!

Most toasters consume over 2000 Watts , independently of the plug you need a 10A socket /enchufe. If a toaster, an iron and a space heater or hair dryer are connected on the same circuit, will blow the fuses. Here in BA on older buildings..!

Last edited:
Back