Exchanging money on overstayed visa

orwellian

Registered
Just tried to exchange USD to pesos and I was told it's illegal to exchange money on an overstayed visa. That she couldn't do it. I've done this in the past without problem. Does anyone know if such a law actually exists?

Don't know if it's a law - but for all it's worth - I couldn't change money on an expired visa either.

Go to 'unoficial' exchange offices, like the one in Rodriguez Pena between Guido and vicente Lopez. They give good rates too. You can trust them.

Here they don't ask your passport.

Euro Cambio near Alto Palermo never asks me for any type of ID. Their rates are pretty good too.

Wanted to go to the Euro one but it was closed. Thanks for the tips though.

We don't use places that ask for ID when exchanging money. I don't think you are but if by chance you are up here in Zona Norte let me know and I'll point you to where where we go.

For some reason my wife knows who asks for id and who doesn't and does not trust anyone that does. We were walking down the street in Belgrano one day and she said "let's go there, they don't ask for id".

I have a feeling you may be able to ask a friend who is a local and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

orwellian said:
Wanted to go to the Euro one but it was closed. Thanks for the tips though.

I will say this though...write down the serial numbers of the bills before you exchange them.

I had one problem where the woman at the front took my US $100 bills, and then the guy in the back returned one as counterfeit. I could not dispute it as I had no record, but the bills came from the States and I have never had a fake one in my life before.

This only happened once (in maybe 20+ times going there), so I may have just been unlucky rather than having a bill swapped on me. Who knows? Now I write down the serial numbers to be sure.

This site is great - lists all the casa de cambios (no passport required) and has up to the minute exchange rates :
www.dolarhoy.com

Back