exchanging money

I brought cash with me for my stay here because my bank said they'd charge me and I don't want to use my credit card for cash advances (too many fees). I found a very low-key casa de cambio on Santa Fe near Callao. It would be impossible to find if it hadn't been pointed out to me. It's in one of those small shopping galleries that you can find on Santa Fe. There is a guy who sits out on the streets and says something like "casa de cambio" or "cambiar dinero", but he is not always there. As you walk in, there is a man standing outside of the casa de cambio who slides the door. You enter. There might be one or two people in front of you, but usually not. Hand over the cash, get your pesos. Regular exchange rate, no fees, no fuss, no muss. I tried another place on Santa Fe that had a big sign outside advertising. Long line, ridiculous system (I had to go from one person to another and then stand and wait, I finally left and went back to the little hole in the wall).

I've noticed other similar operations on Santa Fe, one near Puerrydon. For me this has been a god-send.

There is also a good exchange place on Scalabrini Ortiz, on the right if you walk up from Santa Fe. There is a sign outside saying Compro Oro.I never had to que here and they are always quick. Changed Dollars, pounds, and Euros.

On the banking front if you have an HSBC premier account they will cover all the ATM fees, but of course you have to pay for the account in the first place. How much you use it will of course depend on whether it is worth your while.
Incidentally you still have to pay if you use a credit card, as I did accidentally two weeks ago :eek:

Back