Expat Article Of The Week (Ba Herald)

Napoleon

Registered
Though most people never take a peak at the Buenos Aires Herald, there is a weekly segment that I think is quite pertinent to this board.

Sorrel Moseley-Williams writes a weekly article about an expat (or expat couple).

I think that this could be a weekly topic of conversation, so I'm starting this thread and posting this week's article. It really shines a nice light on why so many of us have chosen to move here and/or stay here. And even for those who are "trapped" here, there are reminders of some good things that you can enjoy while biding your time until you're "free".

Here's a snippet to get you started.

Livin’ a life less loca

by Sorrel Moseley-Williams

CV
Name: Tom Rixton
Profession: Hotelier, Home Hotel
Education: Sherborne School
Last book read: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Last film seen: Ponyo
Gadget: Doepfer MAQ16/3 MIDI Analog Sequencer

After many years working and playing hard in London, record producer turned hotelier Tom Rixton enjoys long family lunches, having a bilingual daughter and his Boca Juniors season ticket.

Tom Rixton’s first visit to Buenos Aires 13 years ago had baptism of fire written all over it: meeting his Argentine future in-laws and attending a Boca Juniors game on his own. Despite the fear that those two combined elements could spark in many men, Tom later married Patricia, moved to Argentina’s capital and eventually acquired a season ticket to the Bombonera.

“I had recently moved to Ireland to live with Patricia, and the first time I came to Buenos Aires was to meet the parents. That was when I started to get used to sitting around for hours after lunch, talking about nothing in particular although I realized early on that football was an easy subject to talk about,” he says.

“I went to see Boca Juniors play, the super team of 2000 with Riquelme and Tevez. You could buy tickets at the gate back then, and I remember sitting on the floor for two and half hours as Patricia wandered off. There certainly weren’t any tourists buying tickets. So I sat on my own, in this ruined stadium, cumbia blaring from car windows. Everyone had told me how dangerous Boca and Boca Juniors were, but there was nothing to be scared of at all.”....

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/136473/livin%E2%80%99-a-life-less-loca

Though most people never take a peak at the Buenos Aires Herald, there is a weekly segment that I think is quite pertinent to this board.

Sorrel Moseley-Williams writes a weekly article about an expat (or expat couple).

I think that this could be a weekly topic of conversation, so I'm starting this thread and posting this week's article. It really shines a nice light on why so many of us have chosen to move here and/or stay here. And even for those who are "trapped" here, there are reminders of some good things that you can enjoy while biding your time until you're "free".

Here's a snippet to get you started.

I've met Tom, and he's a really nice guy with no pretensions whatsoever, despite his rubbing elbows with showbiz celebrities. That said, the only part of Boca Juniors stadium I would ever set foot in is the museum (which is afraid to cover the topic of the barras despite their significance).

I wonder does he still go, looks a bit hairy to me.

Come to River instead tourists! (Not that the barras are much better)

Is there a link to the article or is it behind the famous Herald pay wall?

You can find it on the divine Ms. Mosley-Williams website at: http://www.sorrelmw.com/the-expat-tom-rixton/

I had recently moved to Ireland to live with Patricia, and the first time I came to Buenos Aires was to meet the parents. That was when I started to get used to sitting around for hours after lunch, talking about nothing in particular although I realized early on that football was an easy subject to talk about,” he says.

I know that feeling although I'm still not really used to it.

I know that feeling although I'm still not really used to it.

The Herald once had the best soccer headline ever, which this site unfortunately will not let me upload the image from my computer:

"Another Boring 0-0 Tie"

I missed last week's THE EXPAT, so I'll post it now and then perhaps tomorrow I'll can post this week's.

Keeping connected

137010_27_005329.jpg

CV
Profession: Photographer and founder of XpatLifeBA
Education: Fashion design at Universidad Taller 5, Bogotá, photography at Quito’s Alliance Française.
Last book read: Unauthorized autobiography of Julian Assange
Last film seen: Superman with my girls
Gadget: Blackberry

A snap decision led Colombian mother-of-two Liana Neal to up roots from Quito to Buenos Aires. Six years on, the president of BAIN Suburbs has learnt to showjump, performed on stage at a Corrientes theatre and is preparing to launch a private members’ club.

Many people who decide to change gear and move to another country often take their time to get to know the place or find somewhere to live. Not Liana Neal. While she was living in Ecuador, the Colombian mother of two and president of Buenos Aires International Newcomers (BAIN Suburbs) had a flash of inspiration one night, and two weeks later had relocated to Buenos Aires.

She says: “More or less the first time I came here was to move here. We’d been living in Quito for six years but I didn’t fall in love with that city. I woke up one night at three in the morning, literally, and told my husband ‘we need to move, darling’. Obviously he said ‘what?’ and I said ‘put the lights on, this is serious we’re moving. And I think we’re going to Argentina.’

“I liked the sound of Argentina for some reason. So we got in touch with a relocation agency and I convinced my mum to come and take care of our two daughters who were six and one at the time. A week later she arrived in Quito, and that night we were in Buenos Aires. That was six years ago.”...

http://www.buenosair...eping-connected

Back