Expat Documentary Film

arielw2001

Registered
(I just posted this in the Newcomers section...but I thought it made more sense to put it here instead...so sorry for the duplication!)

Greetings to everyone at baexpats.org!

My name is Ariel Enrique Wapnir...and I am filmmaker here in Los Angeles that is planning to move to BsAs in February. Although I am a native Porteno...I've lived in the United States since I was 4 years old...so the fact that I am coming back home...may or may not disqualify me as a future Expat for many of you!

I am currently in pre-production on a documentary entitled, LEAVING AMERICA, which will begin filming in March in BsAs!

I was in BsAs in October for a couple weeks pre-interviewing many American expats. I hope to speak with more expats in here...and I'm also looking to speak any Americans who are still in the US but plan on moving to Argentina in the near future!

Since this is my first time here...I'm not sure if it is appropriate to discuss too much about the project...so I'll leave a brief overview here for now...in the hope that some of you will wish to contact me to share your stories! Who knows...you could end up in our film??

Is America no longer the Land of Opportunity?

While the United States has been going thru economic, social & political upheavals not seen since the Great Depression...Argentina is in the midst of a new wave of immigration that is helping make the country one of the few economic bright spots in the world today.

According to the US Consulate in Argentina, since over 50,000 Amercians are currently registered with them, they estimate that there could be as many as 200,000 living in the country today! Unlike the better known Expat destinations that have always been magnets for American retirees, Argentina is attracting a younger, educated demographic in their 20's & 30's.

LEAVING AMERICA will examine the lives of several expats...before and after their move...in an effort to explore what drives tens of thousands to leave behind their homes, careers, family & friends in the US...and why they chose to come to Argentina...a place where most arrived at not speaking the language or knowing anyone!

I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Thanks,

Ariel

arielw2001 said:
I am currently in pre-production on a documentary entitled, LEAVING AMERICA, which will begin filming in March in BsAs!

I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

What about calling it LEAVING NORTH AMERICA, or LEAVING THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA as opposed to LEAVING AMERICA, In the context of 'AMERICA' there is a NORTH and SOUTH.....

arielw2001 said:
...Argentina is in the midst of a new wave of immigration that is helping make the country one of the few economic bright spots in the world today.

Ariel

This part of your post confuses me. What are you basing this on? I don't believe that I know anyone who will say that the economy is doing well. Maybe it is from an international viewpoint, but for people who are living here, it is a completely different outlook.

For people who live here and earn pesos, it can be very hard to get by. It is nearly impossible for us to get a long term rental apartment here so we have to pay more for short term apartments. Local salaries are very low, to my knowledge, most households have more than one person working just so they can get by. Inflation is quickly becoming a problem here.

I would suggest interviewing some locals as well to get their viewpoint on the situation.

Sounds like another fake thread, the whole premise is rather preposterous.

gouchobob said:
Sounds like another fake thread, the whole premise is rather preposterous.

What is wrong with all of you...show some respect for God's sake!!

I met with Ariel AND the production team while he was here a few weeks ago and the project is 100% legit. In fact, he, and the crew are very professional and myself and another expat from NYC sat and chatted with them for almost 2 hours.

jaredwb said:
What is wrong with all of you...show some respect for God's sake!!

I met with Ariel AND the production team while he was here a few weeks ago and the project is 100% legit. In fact, he, and the crew are very professional and myself and another expat from NYC sat and chatted with them for almost 2 hours.

If on the off chance this is real then I apologize, however I am still doubting it is. The whole premise that thousands of people in their 20's and 30's are heading to Argentina today for better economic prospects is absurd. If there is truly a film-maker documenting this then he is wasting both his time and money. The reality today is that with the high inflation here there have been many more people leaving for home than have been arriving.

ariel, i think the documentary is a great idea. send me a private message when you can as i've got some great input i can give you. thanks.

I agree, change the title -- after 5+ years living here, I can assure you that Argentines consider themselves part of America as well.

I'll be curious how you'll interview people before AND after their move to see how they're doing, since most expats only stay for 6 months or so, 2 years seems to be the time most bail, and those of us that stick around any longer are certainly not doing it because we've found the place to be in the midst of an economic boom -- I'd go so far as to say that most of us in your age range who have hung around as long as me are either worse off or stuck on a plateau compared to where they were when they arrived -- the expat success rates in the 20s-30s crowd (and of American nationality) are very low.

"Argentina...economic bright spot"

HUH??? Argentina's inflation is about 25% - 30% a year. You call that economic bright spot? If that is a "bright spot" I don't want to see your version of problems. The USA has it's own bag of problems but it's still easier in the USA to find a good qualified job vs. Argentina for most American ex-pats.

The truth remains that most expats that come to Argentina to start businesses have failed after a short amount of time. Or if they didn't they really aren't making much money. I only know a very small handful that have been successful here in Argentina. Most pack up their bags and go home after a short amount of time.

More people are moving back out of it vs. coming in.... It will be interesting to see your documentary.....

Back