Expat Job in Campana - how to buy/lease a car?

ScottBLDR

Registered
Hello - my name is Scott Mosier, and I will be relocating to Argentina for a two-yr. assignment in the next few months (working in Campana). I am from Colorado in the US, and will be looking for everything you would think an expat would be interested in, but right now, I'm trying to understand car buying/lease options so I can gauge if the car allowance I am being offered is reasonable.

Not sure if this is the perfect place to ask this question, but please point me in the right direction if it is not.

I am unclear how car lease/purchases work in Argentina with high inflation and uncertainty around the peso. Ideally, I would lease a car if I was in the US for this 2-yr assignment.

Can anyone give me an overview or direction on where to go for lease/buy options?

Thanks, Scott

brandon

Newcomer
Scott
I don't think leasing exists here. With the interest rate over 60%, it wouldn't make sense anyways.
Come with cash to buy a car. Prices are almost double the US, look at mercado libre or autos com ar for prices.

Make sure you will be paid in USD.

Good luck!

Ceviche

Registered
A car is a good idea. Live in CABA...and drive to Campana to work...

And get a apartment with reserved parking space.

Stantucker

Registered
Hello - my name is Scott Mosier, and I will be relocating to Argentina for a two-yr. assignment in the next few months (working in Campana). I am from Colorado in the US, and will be looking for everything you would think an expat would be interested in, but right now, I'm trying to understand car buying/lease options so I can gauge if the car allowance I am being offered is reasonable.

Not sure if this is the perfect place to ask this question, but please point me in the right direction if it is not.

I am unclear how car lease/purchases work in Argentina with high inflation and uncertainty around the peso. Ideally, I would lease a car if I was in the US for this 2-yr assignment.

Can anyone give me an overview or direction on where to go for lease/buy options?

Thanks, Scott
We bought a car in September of last year. We weren't able to get any sort of financing because we are retired and have no regular source of income, like a job; we had to pay cash. The car we bought was actually cheaper than the same model in the US. Maybe it was just a question of timing-- when the dollar was near it's peak (for that time) and prices hadn't started to go up yet.