Expat Life In Nuñez - Call For Recommendations

lucha54

Registered
There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel in my seemingly never-ending apartment search and it seems to be leading to Ramallo street in Nuñez. I've already used the search field but as I am not exactly sure what I'm looking for, I thought I'd just throw out some general questions...

Who lives in Nuñez? What is good around there? Do you ever feel far/ disconnected from the rest of the city?

I'll be on the Vuelta de Obligado side of the neighb and want some tips:
Pilates classes? Cheap verdulerias? Not-to-miss restaurants? Neighborhood secrets? Your favorite... whatever?

I'll miss being in the middle all the Belgrano/Palermo action but hoping there are benefits to staying in a quieter side of town... if any Nuñez residing expats want to meet up or have a social gathering I'd be interested in getting to know my new neighbors!!

Thanks for your feedback everybody! ~Lucha

There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel in my seemingly never-ending apartment search and it seems to be leading to Ramallo street in Nuñez. I've already used the search field but as I am not exactly sure what I'm looking for, I thought I'd just throw out some general questions...

Who lives in Nuñez? What is good around there? Do you ever feel far/ disconnected from the rest of the city?

I'll be on the Vuelta de Obligado side of the neighb and want some tips:
Pilates classes? Cheap verdulerias? Not-to-miss restaurants? Neighborhood secrets? Your favorite... whatever?

I'll miss being in the middle all the Belgrano/Palermo action but hoping there are benefits to staying in a quieter side of town... if any Nuñez residing expats want to meet up or have a social gathering I'd be interested in getting to know my new neighbors!!

Thanks for your feedback everybody! ~Lucha
Nice quiet section, last year it was flooded with the big rain, cars floating around. A long taxi ride from Recoleta,
and most Taxi drivers do not know a thing there. That tells you something.

garryl do you live there, or in recoleta? We made sure to find an apartment on a street where the water will run right passed us on the way down to flood zone

ps. i have my own car

Not to worry, you are right next to Belgrano and it is a beautiful neighborhood. I wouldn't mind living there myself. Think twice if it is on the ground floor though.

I work in Nuñez and it's really lovely! I don't think you would feel too disconnected as there are so many buses etc to everywhere from Cabildo, and the subte isn't too far..
But, the mention about the floods is something to think about! I work in Paroissien near Cabildo and earlier this year the office was more than 1m under water... and I have a friend who works nearby, near Libertador and they always suffering too in the heavy rain! She couldn't leave her work unless she walked through 1m high waters in the street.......

I lived in Nuñez for a year and a half (during my entire stay in BsAs) at Libertador y Jaramillo, so not too far from where you're moving to. At first I didn't like it, then I grew to like it, then I started not liking it again. As far as where you're moving, I'm not a fan of Cabildo at all though. It's so noisy and dirty because of all the buses there. Closer to Liberatador is more ideal. However, you're near a nice park at Cuba y Ramallo, and Parque Saavedra isn't too far.

Overall, I did feel disconnected there and wished I lived closer to my friends and an area with more restaurants. It is a very far journey to downtown. The only positive thing I can think of is it's probably somewhat safer than a lot of areas (and quieter if you're not too close to Cabildo).

If you ever need furniture, "Fullconfort" on Cabildo has great prices on furnture, you can even make custom orders.

I live near Udaondo and Liberatador. I've never been happier than I am living here. The streets are clean, its quiet, lots of families, light on low life trapitos (except for on game days). If you're a gym person, there are a huge sport club and megathlon in addition to other clubs up and down libertador. Otherwise it a great place to ride your bike plus you're only 15-20 minutes from barrio chino on bike.

Hmmm what else..

There are often lots of free cultural events in the Abuelos compound if you can stand to walk past the gigantic nausea inducing pictures of Nestor and Peron.

It floods here, don't park in underground garages.

The mitre train sucks, it seems to be capped at 30km/h which greatly reduces the chance of a disaster but also means it goes nowhere quickly. Although it does go slowly to tigre which makes it kind of fun to ride your bike/rollerblade/walk to tigre and the relax on the train home.

On the other hand you'll be reasonably close to the Belgrano Norte train which is the cleanest most well managed commuter line (low bar) and will get you to Retiro quickly.

Just over the border with belgrano is a great parilla on Ugarte y Arribeños. There is also another version of the famous palermo La escondida parilla on campo salles and arcos but it's not that good and kind of pricy.

If your argentine friends tell you to go to tuscon because its the best thing ever, don't believe them.

My favorite place to buy plants and other "huerta" supplies is http://www.vivero-loscoihues.com.ar

I'll edit if I think of anything else. Otherwise feel free to send me PM if you make it to the neighborhood and want to meet up for a beer or coffee.

It is not Palermo.;) However I would like it. lots of onestorey buildings ,more light in teh streets due to this and much less traffic both pedestrian and otherwise. If you shop on the other side of the General Paz in Vicente Lopez a lot of things are cheaper. It is an area a lot more traditional than other places. Siesta hours are still observed and small shops close. You are also near the bus to DOt Baires shopping and could maybe even walk it. DOT Baires has a Walmart,cine and a Valenti deli. Parque Saavedra on a Sunday is a place for families and kids and gets crowded. The feria barrial also happens there on Sunday. A quiet safe,neighbourhood. Belgrano s near and you could also take the bus to Bajo San Isidro (up and coming area) for entertainment but it is a bit of a trip on the 168 bus.

Back