Expat Moms - are Argentine kids rude?

IntlMama

Registered
I know this is a generalization but do any other moms (or dads) think that kids in BA are incredibly rude and/or spoiled? I have found that I see kids telling their mothers "calláte" and screaming when they don´t get what they want. Of course this happens everywhere but I feel like I see it a lot more here.

Also, they seem more demanding even when they are guests in my home!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm not in BA, I'm in Bariloche, but I have never seen anything like that. The kids here are great!

this is not about kids but how has the skiing been this year. has the volcano affected it much. I know the airport was closed for some time.
I love Bariloche and have been skiing there about 8 times

Well, I do not have kids personally so maybe wouldn't be the best to comment, however, from someone who has travelled and lived in multiple countries and cultures, it is my observation that children here (Buenos Aires) are given a lot more attention than in other places. 75% of the shows on Corrientes are childrens' shows, with ticket prices costing up to 250 pesos a pop, and yet their are masses and masses of lines from parents who I KNOW must be making quite the sacrifice to take their kids to see these, and not just that, but then there are all the little souvenirs, face painting, etc. I have also noticed that here parents tend to take their children with them to places where, perhaps it would be better to leave small children at home with grandma or a sitter. I was having dinner at Happening, a very nice Puerto Madero restaurant, and there was a family with five children, and the parents were doing nothing while the kids ran around the restaurant, threw chairs down, climbed under tables, the nadir was when they knocked over a nearby wine ice bucket holder at which the mother simply gave them a discontent frown. Needless to say, a lot of other diners were not very pleased.

In my own experience Argentineans seem to simply & genuinely adore kids, with genuine affection and an innocent awe at the miracle that is childhood. We had so many people in our barrio always talking to us as we walked home with the kids that we gave them photos for Christmas presents ...perhaps this love leads to over indulgence in material things but you also see parents struggling to ensure the best private education they can get to ensure their child's future. As most Argentinean adults I know are cultured and intelligent souls I cannot see that Argentinean child rearing has had too many negative effects. If you have a child here and then go back to Europe, US etc you will find a distinct lack of warmth never mind tolerance for children. Im not taling about rules, limits etc..just affection and what should be a natural interest in the future generation. Im not sayinhg Argentina is perfect but for raising kids in a community atmosphere it's a winner.

In my observation, the kids are not taught to say please, thank you or excuse me, which in my opinion is rude. From where I come from its mam, sir, please etc. Although Argentineans adore kids I think they let them go free with no limits.

For example..when my kids wants something, in ENglish I teach them to say May I Have & my husband teaches them in spanish to say I want. So I asked him if their is a more polite way to ask for something & I never really got an answer, so who knows.

I meet lots of Argentine moms and dads telling their children: "qué se dice?" expecting, of course, that their children say "por favor" or "gracias".

Amargo said:
I meet lots of Argentine moms and dads telling their children: "qué se dice?" expecting, of course, that their children say "por favor" or "gracias".

De acuerdo...most of my children's friends have lovely manners and please and thank you are a standard. In my eldest's class of 22 kids there's a few choice characters who use foul language, bully others verbally and physically and treat adults, including their parents, appallingly but I'd say that happens world over. Manners aside what I find odd is how parents here let their kids live on biscuits and milanesas...the number of vegetable or fruit eating kids in my son's class is less than 5 and the parents act so helpless as if it has nothing to do with them...funny..nevertheless still think highly of child rearing here since I can apply my own European values and limits and throw in the spice that is Argentinean parenting with oodles of love and affection

Back