Expat Psychologist Looking For Office Space To Rent

jamila

Registered
Hello,

I am licensed psychologist from the US and as I am considering my long term options here in Buenos Aires I am thinking about providing therapy services to other Expats (or anyone that would prefer therapy in English).

The first step is finding an space to work from. Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated. Initially I am only looking to rent for one day a week with the option to expand as needed.

Secondly, any information on average session rates would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Unless you have already done so, I suggest your first step should be to submit your credentials to the appropriate (various) agencies and then appear before any of the National Universities in order to have your diploma considered as an Argentine equivalent.

There are several English speaking psychotherapists and psychologists who are licensed in Argentina that have been recommended by members of this forum. I know of one who regularly reads threads with keywords like "psychologist" in the titles and replies with her contact information.

It would only take one of them (or a disgruntled expat) to blow the whistle on you and have the appropriate authorities make you wish you hadn't offered your services without complying with the appropriate regulations.

If you are here on a tourist visa it is highly unlikely that migraciones will approve a work visa for you to practice in Argentina based on your foreign credentials, even if they are recognized by a National University.

Even if you already have residency with a DNI and the "right" to work it would not be a good idea to practice any form of medicine in Argentina without a license to do so.

In all regulated professions, no professional licensed within one country (or pertinent jurisdiction) can just set up shop in some other country. First, he needs to apply to, fulfil all conditions set by, and be professionally certified to practise by the relevant body in that country.

Just having the same nationality or cultural background as the (eg. expat) clients you'd like to attract is not a way to circumvent this anywhere.

Finding workspace is definitely not a first step.

I endorse the advice on being cautious, specially because some clinical situations may require interventions that will be hard to provide if you are not locally licensed to practice.
There are several local private universities that will take courses you've taken in the US, and that can expedite the licensing process here.

As a rule of thumb, when people agree on a meeting and You fix the day and the time it's a good practice to keep your appointment or at least apologize if you can't make it. Others might value their time, even if you don't.
Keep that in mind while building your practice.

What would Lacan say?

Back