Expat shuffle ...

charlewar

Registered
Just returned from a run to Colonia using my passport which has many stamps in it. You never know when the fickle finger of fate will slap you down but this time, absolutely no problems coming or going. Yes, I'll try the legit route soon.

Well as we have seen things change and are changing that run makes no sense it will not standup in imaginations and you just blew your two years in the country which would qaulify you for citizenship. Make no sense to me at all. I am married to lovely Argentine so I get the pass by default. But the URU runs are just a false sense of comfort. If it gets looked into it will not standup and you have reset the two year clock. It all comes down too how you being banned from Arg for years could effect you or loved ones here, if you have loved one here, if you did get into a situation where you would be scrutinized?

Well as we have seen things change and are changing that run makes no sense it will not standup in imaginations and you just blew your two years in the country which would qaulify you for citizenship. Make no sense to me at all. I am married to lovely Argentine so I get the pass by default. But the URU runs are just a false sense of comfort. If it gets looked into it will not standup and you have reset the two year clock. It all comes down too how you being banned from Arg for years could effect you or loved ones here, if you have loved one here, if you did get into a situation where you would be scrutinized?

Sorry, amigo, that does not disqualify anyone from residency. You're not imprisoned in Argentina and can leave and re-enter. I do appreciate the thought of your reply

Note that I posted.... changes. We are seeing them. Or efforts to make changes.

... you just blew your two years in the country which would qaulify you for citizenship.... If it gets looked into it will not standup and you have reset the two year clock.

The two year "residency" requirement for citizenship ins not defined as an unbroken physical presence in Argentina. The visa run will neither help or hurt the chances of being granted citizenship. Legal "residency" granted by migraciones is not a condition of citizenship, though it obviously makes the process of getting citizenship easier and cheaper (especially if a lawyer is not involved).

Last edited:
The two year "residency" requirement for citizenship ins not defined as an unbroken physical presence in Argentina.

That's how my judge interpreted it - as unbroken physical presence. It was the reason they denied mine, because I visited the US for a few weeks. In other words, if your parent dies, you go to the funeral in the US, too bad - start your two years over. I'm not saying all judges here would rule like this but mine did.

Not something I have to worry about but I think Camel made my point. Better to just over stay the fake tourist includes a special benefit it is called the guessing game with ground to stand on.

I would not risk “visa runs” unless you absolutely need a current visa (my registro civil stated that my passport needed to be up to date to get married, but this was provincia, 6 years ago, and different administration so your mileage may vary.)

It's not like you're fooling anyone of not being a permanent tourist if they decide to look at your passport.

Back