Expat With B.s In Business & Perm. Res. Looking For Work

Tgore1055

Registered
Hello!

I've been here for almost 7 months, just got legal residency starting to look for some employment! I have management, training and investment/insurance related experience with some pretty big companies.

I would love to go back in the same field here in Buenos Aires or go a whole different route and work helping people......either teaching English in a school or professional setting, or even doing some type of humanitarian work.

Unfortunately I don't know ANY other expats or even many friends : (

If anyone has any advice or can help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

Tim let me know how this pans out for you, my b/f and I will be in the same position in about one month!

As the owner of an English Institute, I don't hire teachers unless they either have some experience or a TEFL or CELTA Certificate. I think most English Schools take the same stance. If you are looking to teach English, you might want to either look into getting a TEFL Certificate or start teaching by giving some free classes. Once you teach some classes and get some experience and get better at it, then you can pretty much have all the work you want--there is massive demand for English teachers. Also, another word of advice. If you are here for the long-haul, start your own business. It is sucky terms to be an employee here as the pay is terrible and you are expected to work like a dog. Unfortunately, laws hurt employers, but in many ways, they also hurt employees.

Running a business here is a pain in the butt, but so is working for an employer, so you might as well run your own business since your monetary reward will be much higher. It's also hard to find a job as a foreigner, especially without good language skills. There are tons of opportunities here and areas to start a business in. With minimal intelligence, hard work, and if you provide an average service, you will already be batter than 80% of your competition.

Unfortunately, it's neither a good time to either be looking for work or starting a business, but sometimes during a recession or downtime (believe me a recession has started, I can tell), it's can be good time to start since you will be positioned well when things start to pick back up again in the future. I was going to start a second business about a year ago, and I gratefully decided against it due to the instability right now. If you start working on your own, pick something that requires minimal investment. Believe it or not, you can do that in Argentina.

Hello Tim
I think you can start looking for a job in the way all argentinians do: using web sites and applying there.
As you have mentioned, without friends here, it wont be easy to knock companies door to get an appointment because here it isn´t used.
If you dont speak spanish, your market is limited to companies where english is the language or to companies who look for native speaker because they have contact with other countries.

regards

Tim let me know how this pans out for you, my b/f and I will be in the same position in about one month!

Christy

Will you guys have a DNI? I think that will help. I've only just begun to apply for jobs, but it looks like it's going to be tough. Mostly using Indeed and looking for corporate positions with some of the larger firms I've worked with in the U.S. No luck yet.....Teaching English is a last resort, but I think I'd prefer doing private lessons, either that or in a corporate setting which doesn't seem to be popular here as compared to Brazil.

The economy is tough here, inflation is high, and the pay scale is WAAAAAAY lower than the U.S. I would say even 3 or 4 times as less. You really have to enjoy everything else Argentina has to offer, which I am doing...... I'm going to give it a good year and better my Spanish during that time. If I can't find anything I might take advantage of the low education cost and go get my masters. Feel free to contact me about anything you'd like to know.

Best of luck to you and your boyfriend!

As the owner of an English Institute, I don't hire teachers unless they either have some experience or a TEFL or CELTA Certificate. I think most English Schools take the same stance. If you are looking to teach English, you might want to either look into getting a TEFL Certificate or start teaching by giving some free classes. Once you teach some classes and get some experience and get better at it, then you can pretty much have all the work you want--there is massive demand for English teachers. Also, another word of advice. If you are here for the long-haul, start your own business. It is sucky terms to be an employee here as the pay is terrible and you are expected to work like a dog. Unfortunately, laws hurt employers, but in many ways, they also hurt employees.

Running a business here is a pain in the butt, but so is working for an employer, so you might as well run your own business since your monetary reward will be much higher. It's also hard to find a job as a foreigner, especially without good language skills. There are tons of opportunities here and areas to start a business in. With minimal intelligence, hard work, and if you provide an average service, you will already be batter than 80% of your competition.

Unfortunately, it's neither a good time to either be looking for work or starting a business, but sometimes during a recession or downtime (believe me a recession has started, I can tell), it's can be good time to start since you will be positioned well when things start to pick back up again in the future. I was going to start a second business about a year ago, and I gratefully decided against it due to the instability right now. If you start working on your own, pick something that requires minimal investment. Believe it or not, you can do that in Argentina.
Thank you for the advice and information. I've thought about doing my own business but the tax/tariff situation is nuts (not to get political). Still weighing some scenarios and figuring out what would be the most enjoyable and lucrative at the same time. I never thought I'd end up here, but the fates took me here....so here I am. I enjoy it a lot, but getting the itch to get back into the work force. I've been out since I moved here back October.

Back