Expats returning 'home'

Delight

Registered
This probally has been discussed before but if I look around I see that about half the long term expats I know have moved somewhere else. This is offcourse something that happens all the time and there are various (personal) reasons for it but in MY opinion this was happening a lot less in 2007-2009

I also observing that fewer people are arriving with plans to stay 6-12 months

Any reasons, explanations or observations on this?

Your answers can be found in just about any thread you look at. Anything from crime and inflation, to no peanut butter.

Most people that used to come here for 6-12 months did it because it was inexpensive. Not any longer - I assume that circuit of tourists are off to the next cheap and fun destination to do their gap year/sabatical/etc.

As far as more leaving - at least in my time here - it's my experience that very, very few people stay for longer than 2 years unless they're married or have a family Only a handful of the expats I met in 2007 that are still here (around 5 or 6). Everyone else left. And even among those that are married or planned on staying here - many are looking at leaving because of cost of living, lack of opportunities, business challenges (for those that opened businesses) etc.

Wages in China are not so low anymore, the East is pulling hard. And Buenos Aires (not Argentina) is expensive. So there.

For some more information, the people I have left and I know have been around this time in BA

4 years - work oportunity elsewhere
3 years - Study elsewhere
1,5 years - home
1,5 years - home
1,5 years - home
3 years - home
2 years - Home
2 years (2 spells) - Home

I am guessing some are coming back some day, but for me this are not 'temporary' tourist

I think there are also more 'summer' tourist, I have a feeling they are now staying 3/5 months and before would stay about a year or so

I don't really know people who go to the next cheap expat destination. I have had some friends who went to live in Colombia, but they are mostly mid to late 30's

Back