'expensas' Listed On Real Estate Websites

MichaelC746

Registered
Hi there, I have been reading this forum a while. I would like to buy an apartment in BA after visiting a lot.

For each apartment on the various real estate websites it says 'expensas' usually around $1500. Would this be monthly or yearly? Is it just for stuff like building maintenance and the portero or is it like an estimation of the electricity and water bill etc ?

Thanks!!!!

Monthly, and it is referred to expenses for the common areas of the building (i.e. common lights, common irrigations, gardening services, disinfestation services, maintenance of water reservoirs, doorman salary, cleaning of stairs/halls, lift maintenance, building management, etc). In our case, water is included in these expensas (based on our apartment sq.ft.), but all of the other services (electricity for our apartment, gas, phone, internet, etc) are billed to us directly. On top of that we also pay ABL.

In some apartment, the tenant pays all of the expensas (ordinary and extraordinary), in others the landlord pays for the extraordinary and the tenant for the ordinary. It should be checked before signing the contract and it should be put in writing in the contract. Unexpected major jobs could lead to extraordinary expenses spiking up and this is not infrequent in Buenos Aires. Old building are usually not up to standard, newer building are usually crap, repairing works usually last just a couple of months... So, don't underestimate the extraordinary expensas.

You will probably have to ask for each one, but it's likely just the building expenses, it covers the main building and whatever they have, portero, cleaning, minor repairs/replacements, heat, some water, are usually included. It's a monthly cost and it increases annually based on inflation and any unexpected large repairs.

Your electric, gas, water, cable, internet, phone, and taxes are all billed separately to each apartment and probably aren't included as $1500 pesos isn't a lot, depending on the size of the building, the size of the apartment and neighborhood of course.

Would someone confirm my assumption that although the sales prices are listed in US$ the expenses are in Pesos? Or not.
Thanks.

Expenses are usually listed in Pesos. Sales prices are almost always in USD (at least what I've seen where I have lived), unless you are talking about new builds, for example, where they are trying to get you to buy into the building with an apartment (which are usually great deals money-wise, one simply has to hope they finish the project as promised, which I think the majority of them do) and these nowadays are often offered in pesos only.

Note to the OP - expenses, as an owner, can vary widely in the same place. Any time anything out of the ordinary has to be done to the building (for example, elevator maintenance is one thing and planned for, but if the elevator craps out and a new one is needed, the owners pay that under extraordinary terms), the owners are charged the extraordinary cost, distributed among themselves usually according to the square meters of each apartment (to apportion the costs fairly). Renters are more lucky in that they are not supposed to pay "extraordinary" expenses. The national contract states that, and as I understand, any individual contract is free to say whatever it wants, but whatever portion of the contract signed that conflicts with the national contract is null and void and is supposedly unenforceable. I.e., a tenant should never have to pay extraordinary expenses, unless there has been a change in the new laws they made recently related to rentals (but I don't think so).

1500 pesos a month for expenses is pretty damned good, at least compared to where I've been living the last 6-7 years or so. Last time I paid around that amount, the peso was still 3-1 to the dollar. But admittedly I live in relatively high-priced areas and have a big apartment (for 5 of us plus my office). One of the reasons I left the suburbs of Garin/Tortuguitas (closed neighborhood) was because I was paying 1300 pesos a month for expenses when the exchange rate was 3-1! I started out at 600 pesos, which was much more reasonable, but had more than doubled in less than two years. Every couple of months the expenses rose and rose and we're not even talking about extraordinary expenses! Total expenses in that neighborhood was around 2200 with the extraordinary thrown in when I left 5+ years ago.

My current expenses are around $5K pesos with a 170 sm apartment. Less, with the blue rate, than I was paying 5 years ago in the suburbs, but nowhere near 1500 pesos :(

The national contract states that, and as I understand, any individual contract is free to say whatever it wants, but whatever portion of the contract signed that conflicts with the national contract is null and void and is supposedly unenforceable.

That's not true. It is a custom, but not a law. What the contract says is what is valid in regard to extraordinary expenses. If no distinction is made in the contract, then the tenant has to pay for them.

Perhaps after moving here, I should apply for citizenship as quickly as possible and once granted go to law school for the second time in my life and become a real estate lawyer for the second time in my life. I should be ready to hang out my shingle by about age 72 or 73.

Perhaps after moving here, I should apply for citizenship as quickly as possible and once granted go to law school for the second time in my life and become a real estate lawyer for the second time in my life. I should be ready to hang out my shingle by about age 72 or 73.
Sounds like a good plan :) Have you seen how a real estate lawyer work in Argentina ? Never mind I know you were joking.
By the way, everyone is a lawyer or doctor in Buenos Aires.

Sounds like a good plan :) Have you seen how a real estate lawyer work in Argentina ? Never mind I know you were joking.
By the way, everyone is a lawyer or doctor in Buenos Aires.

...or a football coach ;)

Any plan that has me doing serious lawyering after next summer is not a serious plan. And thank you for the encouragement. :)

Back