Exploring residency options, advice sought.

pbjosh

Registered
Hello all,

I have been living part time in BsAs for about 18 months with an Argentine partner. My first entry to Argentina was Dec 2016 and I’ve spent about 60% of my time since then here, on tourist visas. So we have been living together for about 18 months but with a few gaps. I am not working in Argentina (or anywhere just at the moment) but am financially secure from investment income. I’ve not overstayed any tourist visas. I am a US citizen and I don’t know if it makes any difference but I’m 41 in case that figures into the rentista option.

I have been planning to seek residency “at some point” but that point has become now, for this reason: I have a US plated vehicle in S America and Argentine Aduana has told me that I have to stop bringing it into the country on temp import permits. Essentially I have to nationalize it or it has to stay out of Argentina. To nationalize it I would need to be an Argentine permenant resident or better, temp resident does not suffice, as I understand it. If things do not work out I can always sell the vehicle outside of Argentina. My first priority is not running afoul of Argentine law or fouling my immigration status and ability to stay in BsAs with my partner. But if I can get permanent residence in a reasonable amount of time (say, 6-12 months) then the import duties on my old but loved camper would be worth paying and I would happily nationalize it if it works out. I am separately looking into the Aduana / vehicle issue but here we have some help from a friend of my gf’s family, who is a despachante.

So looking at my residency options, the best options appear to be:
- temporary residency as a rentista
- permanent residency vía unión convivencial with my partner

For the rentista option I believe I handily meet the requirements and have no qualms setting up a bank account and transfering money monthly. If I go this route I’m sure I will seek advice from the forum about lowest overhead ways to do the actual transfer and if you can have a USD account here as a foreigner.

For the unión convivencial option, I understand you need to live two years together, which is not that far away, about 6 months out for me. But I am not finding concrete info on how to prove that, or if my exits from the country stop timing on cohabitation, etc. We are certainly planning on staying together, and though neither of us is particularly the type to put a lot of weight in marriage, if a unión civil or actual marriage would be a better option it is certainly a possibility. But I’m not really clear on the immigration implications of the three different unions.

Additionally, I read bajo_cero2’s comment in another thread that “With DNU 70/2017 to have a spounse does not give you right to permanent residency straight dorward.”

So essentially I am seeking any guidance anyone can offer on the unión convivencial option, or if I am missing anything dead obvious in terms of options open to me, or any other general advice anyone would like to offer.

I am also not at all opposed to a lawyer’s help if it can make it all go faster and smoother, which I assume to be the case, but I still am going to learn all I can on my own.

Saludos and many thanks in advance for all advice proffered :)

Back