Exporting Art/paintings - Up To Date Info Request

jtdavies1000

Registered
Hi all,

i'm wondering if anyone has up to date info on exporting paintings from argentina?

I have a canvas i want to take out, its difficult to roll but would fit in a suitcase.

I do not have time to do the tramite/licencia de exportacion at the Direction de artes visuales before I leave...

Obviously its risky but does anyone have experience of just taking a canvas out in checked luggage? (boxed up for protection)

I assume people buying small paintings in san telmo etc must do it all the time... or is the aduana at ezeiza very strict about this regulation?

Thanks for any advice or experiences !

It is a nightmare to do the proper forms and bribes. Just pack it and take it.

You'd have more problems coming into Ezeiza than going out.
As Ghost says, just pack and go.

So far we haven't had problems either direction. Just pack it, roll it or hand carry wrapped.
Nancy

The paperwork is tedious and involves going to two sets of offices which don't cooperate with each other, so there is a catch, and they make it tricky for you if they feel like it. You have to provide verified photocopies of the artwork. You'd likely end up going to EZE at least twice before getting the final papers, but then you also have to arrange for an inspector to view the material before embarking which takes extra time of course before your checkin time, approx 2 hours. Depending on what it is, the inspector may have some questions. The whole process takes at least 3-4 weeks.

If it's just one or a few items, not of huge value, I agree that you should just pack it in your main luggage, but under no circumstance take any large piece as a carry on.

If you are exporting some valuable piece/s, I would advise going through the correct channels.

Hey, just wanted to put it on record for anyone with the same enquiry in future:

I packed the painting securely in a suitcase, had it wrapped in that plastic wrap they do at the airport and submitted it as checked luggage and had no issues getting the painting out of the country. And this was a LARGE painting so perhaps they are lenient about the law, although I did pack it very well (in cardboard, wrapping, clothes) to best hide it.

Hope this helps and hope you manage to get your art out!

Back