exporting help for a new business

Kirst

Registered
I have some friends who want to set up a business selling Argentine products in Europe and they are currently doing some research. They want to know if there is an association here that they could contact for help eg where they can find suppliers, export costs etc etc etc.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! They really need some guidance here on export, the paperwork needed, the costs etc, any associations etc that can help.

Any pointers from anyone in that business now would be greatly appreciated!

k

Short answer - it's a nightmare. Long answer - it's an incredibly bad nightmare.

I would recommend they start with the trade desk at their local embassy who may be able to give them some good information.

Hopefully they're doing it for fun rather than to make money. Playing with Argentine export rules is not something people do when trying to make money.

I'll send u a PM. I have a friend who owns a company that imports/exports from/to Turkey and is expanding his business now.

El que no arriesga, no gana.

If it was so easy that anyone could do it, then there would be masses doing it. Don't be put off by so many negative posts. Argentina is difficult, but if one does things well, it is possible to earn lots of money.

You could start here.

Well, many of those who export are indeed rich. From m experience to export it is not easy, but learn to master it and the opportunities are bigger than in many developed countries.

No offense, but is there that much of a market for Argentine products in Europe? I'm in Madrid now, and the quality of European-made foods and beverages -- from jam to chocolate to coffee to dairy -- is generally far superior to the domestic Argentine version.

Exports make lots of people rich, just not in Argentina unless you grow soybeans and lots of them. In AR, like so many things, exports are highly regulated (lets not even touch imports) and the rules constantly change.

A good example is cattle farmers who invested big money in a growing beef export market only to be told they could only export a fraction of what they had been.

What goes on in Turkey has no relevance. Until a very different government Is in place, using time and money on exporting here is highly risky at best. And with the crazy taxes, even if you could export products, you'd have to have some very high margin ones to yield any profit.

Exporting services is something that makes mores sense, still, they have to be high priced services such as legal.

Hi Kirst,

let's start from the start : what kind of products? (first to see if there are any EU restrictions upon importation... Before we start with the Argentinean export part).

Second, do your friends know well Argentina & its idiosyncracy?

All the answers you may find are right & wrong at the same time. Yes, you can get litteraly eaten alive if you come here not knowing the way to do business in the country, no because many people know that so, indeed, Argentina has many opportunities to offer.

Back