Exporting products from Argentina

McGarveyBA

Registered
Hi Guys, I'm new to the Forum but I'm hoping someone here can help me or point me in the right direction. I'm a mechanical design engineer and I've been developing a simple mechanical product which I think I could have fully manufactured here in Argentina.

My issue is I'm not familiar with the rules or costs of exporting the product from here to a US distributor, does anyone know if their taxes are high or could i encounter unforeseen costs like (having to pay the right people to make sure things go smoothly at the port)

Any advice or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Connie

The logistics of simply getting your widget out of the country in the COVID era is going to be your biggest challenge. Factor in extra safety and sanitation costs that will surely materialize once cross-border trade resumes again. Taxes and bribes are the least of your worries. Besides, this is Argentina, not Mexico.

If I was you, I would talk to the company Darto. Its a company run by an industrial designer, a very nice guy, who is manufacturing a stamped steel frying/ saute pan in Argentina, and selling them all over the world. He is undercutting the standard french and US made saute pans most restaurants own dozens of, and shipping direct, I believe by DHL, and including freight in his price. As someone who has worked with metal in the US for 40 years, I can say that this kind of small scale manufacturing would cost 3 to 5 times in the US, IF you could even find a stamping plant that would consider small runs. He might even be interested in managing your exporting, or, perhaps, could recommend someone who could. In Argentina there are lots of small metalworking shops that are hungry for work, and do high quality work. https://www.darto.org/

The ease of export would depend on the size of your product- shipping out larger items that must go in containers makes things more complicated and expensive. Certainly, it can be done- but its more money. When the value is worth it, there are definitely freight expediters you could work with.

If I was you, I would talk to the company Darto. Its a company run by an industrial designer, a very nice guy, who is manufacturing a stamped steel frying/ saute pan in Argentina, and selling them all over the world. He is undercutting the standard french and US made saute pans most restaurants own dozens of, and shipping direct, I believe by DHL, and including freight in his price. As someone who has worked with metal in the US for 40 years, I can say that this kind of small scale manufacturing would cost 3 to 5 times in the US, IF you could even find a stamping plant that would consider small runs. He might even be interested in managing your exporting, or, perhaps, could recommend someone who could. In Argentina there are lots of small metalworking shops that are hungry for work, and do high quality work. https://www.darto.org/

The ease of export would depend on the size of your product- shipping out larger items that must go in containers makes things more complicated and expensive. Certainly, it can be done- but its more money. When the value is worth it, there are definitely freight expediters you could work with.
You should mention this Darto company on the other thread “Quality products Argentina”. Just went to their homepage and I will give it a try!!

You should mention this Darto company on the other thread “Quality products Argentina”. Just went to their homepage and I will give it a try!!
I love my DArtos. They even make a pan just for provoletas.

Thanks very much, Ries. My product is also a kitchen product so i suspect they will be able to point me in the right direction.

McGarvey - you can also consider transshipments through Chile.

There's something called the Generalized System of Preferences that Argentina is eligible for, which depends on the product, that is not nixed by transshipment, so long as it meets certain requirements, so that shipping overland to Chile then out of Valparaiso/San Antonio could be the ticket for you.

Back