Extending My Stay

Davidoff

Registered
Originally, I was taking 2 weeks out to visit Argentina and to spend the majority of this in Buenos Aires!
However having recently lost my job, I have decided to take the plunge and travel in Argentina and potentially South America for the next few months - probably 4 or 5.

Flights
As I stand today, my flight is booked back to the UK for Mid November. However I want to extend this.
Before I speak to American Airlines to make the change, I wondered whether it will present any difficulties if I book my return flight for after 90 days from arrival. Does anyone know if they will let me into the country if they believe I will return after my allowed 90 days? I plan to travel across the border to Chile/Columbia at some point, so that I can extend my stay in South America. Presumably they will be OK with this....can anyone confirm please?

Accomodation
Tonight I am booking accommodation in a BA apartment for the first 2 weeks, when my friend will be with me. After that, he will be heading to the airport. I will be on a limited budget and so it may not be convenient for me to stay after these 2 weeks in the same place, so does anyone know of any more cost effective way to stay?

Finding Friends
What is the best way to find friends in Argentina/BA? Any suggested activities to pursue?

Any other advice welcome. Many thanks!!

They won't ask when you arrive if you plan to stay longer than 90 days or do a visa run in the meantime. But they may ask you at the airport when you leave the non-Arg country. You tell them you don't have your ticket with you because you plan to travel around South America overland and you will not be overstaying. That should be enough!

Cost effective way to stay in BA? No. You could stay in a hostel, rent a room in a flat (but most people want long terms or at least a few months) or go WWOOFing (staying on a farm in provincia and working the farm in exchange for free food and accommodation.

Finding friends: try the expat forums.

I'm not sure about the flight. I change mine after I arrived here.

For accommodation you could look for a room in a big shared house/apt, look at craigslist or compartodepto. It would be a bit like staying in a Hostel, but long term. Expect lots of partying, late nights and asados.

And there is couchsurfing.... A friend of mine just did that for a bit when he first arrived in BA solo. Also a good way to meet people because they use the site to host events and activities.

You can also make friends going to events like mundo lungo (language exchange), playing sports like vball or football or staying in a hostel. People also meet through expat forums.

Other advice - Bring plenty of $USD in cash, as much as possible.

Finding Friends
What is the best way to find friends in Argentina/BA? Any suggested activities to pursue?

I had a very good experience with couchsurfing (I am also hosting myself). I met some very nice Argentinians (both couchsurfing hosts themselves and people introduced by the couchsurfing hosts) while traveling around.

Amazing how people just list so much figuring others will take care of them.. Travelers need to know a lot before they hit the road then to figure out things once they are on the road too .. Life is an experiment you know. We need to take the bumps and scrapes along the way. Enough said.. The flight depends on the ticket you originally purchased.. Was it for 45 days; 3 months; a year. That is where you need to concentrate your time right now to see how long you can stay and are there any provisions for allowing you to stay a longer period of time. Next your wallet.. Base your return flight on the funds in your wallet makes sense too unless you are able to get employment. Do not BANK on that happening. That is a given too unless of course you have some amazing skills. Living -- craigslist -- airbnb.com two places where rooms can be had in people's homes. Very few people will allow you to stay rent free for more than a few days unless you are close to them in a variety of ways too. --- Finding friends .. How do you find friends where you are now living? Same approach happens all over the globe. I have been in many countries. Sometimes it is easy and other times almost impossible. Couchsurfing.org has been mentioned for a room . this is fine but most hosts will frown on your staying more than a few days. it would be nice to hear how you make out in your venture ... it sounds like travel is a new experience . or you feel this community will just come to your aid. Interesting how you found this community - as you are looking for friends --

Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts.
I still have a few concerns though:

- I plan to bring cash but I am worried about bringing so much, especially when I will be in and out of different places when I travel (although I will not be slumming it...I plan to live in nice places, where possible). I know the benefit is there getting better rates but it is just a side thought that perhaps I shouldn't over-commit on the cash front. I have a credit card that gives me a great exchange rate in any other country. I guess the general advice is to avoid using this like the plague?

- The language barrier and being fair-skinned/ginger is likely to present issues as I am easy prey for being over-charged or spotted as a tourist. Any tips on how to avoid pick-pocketers? Read a few things about fake bird poo...is this common?

- I plan to buy and bring a new computer in America (to dodge UK VAT taxes) and I am a little worried over the security of this, given how expensive electronics are in the country. However I plan to use this on a daily basis for work (out of public eye, obviously). What are people's thoughts around this?

In general, you can see the above are related...security. Would appreciate a view from someone inside the country. Thanks all!!!

You basically answered your own question on security -- in your circumstances bringing in 10k us dollars not suggested. have money wired to you find the services which will take care of that feat. we all have computers. every starbucks people use them so get over that fear just get a 10 inch one or get a smart phone. i am whiter than white.. i am old.. i really do not know Spanish. I have traveled all over the world not knowing the respective languages too. Know a few phrases -- perhaps you might be cheated in a local market but people are not out after the foreigner in my opinion at all. I have visited almost every SA country and have been treated properly too. Just relax. Be yourself. Do not flash cash. Be sensible. Act like you were at home. No flashy clothes. No watches. I am a tall guy. I stand out all the time. Smile. Smile. Smile. You will do fine. Enjoy!

Hi Davidoff,

I'm a 27 year old brit just landed here in BsAs until the end of December and working my way through some of the same issues. Let me know if you want to meet up for a beer sometime.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Splaying. Very nice to hear such positive things. I cannot wait!

Yeah it seems like you have a notion that you're going to Haiti or to Nicaragua or something where you can't even have a computer out in public. It's true that computers get snatched in cafes (gotta keep an eye on everything) but the attitude is not such that it would be strange to be working on your computer in public. Especially if it's a non-Mac! As for the USD, yes it's a worry but just keep padlocks on your bags; again you aren't the first to have ever brought a huge sum of cash into the country!! Your paranoia will obviously be assisting in keeping you cautious and safe!

Back