External hard disk

katti

Registered
My iMac (1terra) is full and I want to put all the pics I have plus my future ones on an external hard disk. That has to be more then 1 terra, maybe best a kind of hard disk that has several modules that can be changed when full. (so I don't have to keep on buying new hard disks all the time).

I went to mac station where they tell me that this is possible, but they don't have it, and they have absolutely no clue where to get it.

Any advise on where I can go, apd what type/brand I should get etc? I know absolutely nothing about this.

Thanks

I have never heard of an external hard disk with modules, so not sure what you are going on about...

However, you get 2 basic types, external-powered and non-external-powered.. The powered are desktop external hard disks - due to larger size, require a power adpator to run, but cheaper.. And non-external-powered which are small, portable (as in pocket size) and get the power to run from the USB port, but are 50% to 100% more expensive than the desktop type...
Maybe what you mean is being able to upgrade the hard disk inside, which is possible with most, but usually isnt worth it as there isnt much difference in the price of the hard disk, and an external hard disk of same size.... are at least thats the case in NZ and States..

In BSAS external hard disks are expensive.. Beginning of last year i brought a western digital 320GB back from NZ for a friend, it was around US$80.. A samsung that was 250GB was 600 pesos and a 160GB was 400 - samsungs being a cheap model/brand, so western digital would have been more expensive.. This was in san isidro, so maybe cheaper downtown..

davonz said:
I have never heard of an external hard disk with modules, so not sure what you are going on about...

However, you get 2 basic types, external-powered and non-external-powered.. The powered are desktop external hard disks - due to larger size, require a power adpator to run, but cheaper.. And non-external-powered which are small, portable (as in pocket size) and get the power to run from the USB port, but are 50% to 100% more expensive than the desktop type...
Maybe what you mean is being able to upgrade the hard disk inside, which is possible with most, but usually isnt worth it as there isnt much difference in the price of the hard disk, and an external hard disk of same size.... are at least thats the case in NZ and States..

In BSAS external hard disks are expensive.. Beginning of last year i brought a western digital 320GB back from NZ for a friend, it was around US$80.. A samsung that was 250GB was 600 pesos and a 160GB was 400 - samsungs being a cheap model/brand, so western digital would have been more expensive.. This was in san isidro, so maybe cheaper downtown..

I think the +1 terra only come in external powered.

A couple of years ago I was advised to get one with the extra modules (they look a bit like small VHS players), but I didn't because I thought it was too expensive. Now I am 3 hard disks further, the last one being 1 terra what I thought was impossible to fill up completely at that time, total price : a lot higher then the one with the modules...and ready to get my 4th.

If I know what and where to look for it, I can check prices and maybe it will be interesting to buy it online and pay 50% tax.

It wasnt a NAS you are talking about - Network attached storage.. Basically you can put 2 or more hard disks in some of them.. they were very expensive a couple of years ago, but alot cheaper now..

scotttswan said:
I use a netgear stora http://lmgtfy.com/?q=netgear+stora

you might want to look at backing the images up on dvd's or "the cloud" (dropbox etc)

thanks, the netgear stora looks like the time capsule/time machine I use to back up now.

Dropbox is quite expensive for 1T volumes, ME is only 20 GB...

it is not an easy search...

katti said:
My iMac (1terra) is full and I want to put all the pics I have plus my future ones on an external hard disk. That has to be more then 1 terra, maybe best a kind of hard disk that has several modules that can be changed when full. (so I don't have to keep on buying new hard disks all the time).

I went to mac station where they tell me that this is possible, but they don't have it, and they have absolutely no clue where to get it.

Any advise on where I can go, apd what type/brand I should get etc? I know absolutely nothing about this.

Thanks

Did you check their web site?

http://www.macstation.com.ar/categoria.php?catid=8

Lucas said:

Just to let you know.. these are raid drives... so basically its makes a copy of a file on 2 drives (called mirroring) or more if you have more.. so if it has 2 x 1TB drives in it you only get 1TB of space to use as one is a mirror of the other...

Maybe there is an option for RAID 0 which is making the 2 disks into one drive.. and if one fails all you data is gone... Make sure you check it out..

Check here: http://www.caldigit.com/S2VRDuo.asp
"The most affordable SATA RAID solution for uncompressed 10 bit SD editing and photo libraries."

For the price they are expensive, unless you could get someone to bring from overseas....

If i was in your position, and what i do myself.. is i have 1 X 1TB external western digital my passport hard disk, plus a 500gb one.. The 500gb i can use to replace my laptop's HD if it should fail, and the 1TB is a complete backup of both the laptops HD and the 500GB disk - so i have 2 copies of every file..

I also have an extra 1TB for software, movies and music etc - stuff i dont really care about or can be replaced easily..

The reason i do this, is size and redunency.. I have alot of work related stuff, which if i lost, would be a hugh problem...

Then something like this will do, compatible with PC and MacOS, NAS or direct Raid.0, Raid.1 possible (JBOD mode 'Raid 0' simple runs both hard drives independently, so you will have two storage partitions each)

ix22tb.jpg

Link: Disco Externo 2 Tb Red Nas Iomega Storcenter Ix2-200 Raid !

Cheers

Back