Ezeiza customs

SaraSara

Registered
Does anyone know how strict they are? In the past they didn't make trouble for anyone with an American passport, but a couple of months ago they were caught taking bribes and I fear the rules may have been tightened.

Has anyone had trouble lately?

Thanks...

Sara

SaraSara,

I definitely saw a difference when arriving in April. They made 85% of the people go through the security check after baggage claim vs. what seemed like 15% before the stricter scanning just several months back. Nevertheless, we were waived through. Later my husband told me he winked at the guy but I think he was just joking and we got lucky. I say lucky, but we didn't have anything we needed to "hide" so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. But the wait certainly looked long. They don't have the capacity to make everyone go through that process so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already let up a bit or will do so very soon. Perhaps someone who has arrived more recently will comment.

I came through last week. Has three bags, I put the first one on the belt for scanning, and the customs guy simply said, "No Mas", and waved me through.... Again, I had nothing to hide, but it was actually very quick and simple, as was immigration through Terminal B. I was through in a matter of seconds... Helps not being US, Canadian or Aus, as they get held up paying the "Visa Tax"....

I regularly go up to Brazil (on a UK passport), and I've never previously been asked to go through the scanners. When I came back on Wednesday both my hand luggage and main bag went through the customs scanners. Probably only took 30 seconds, and they didn't have any problems when I picked up my bags and walked off.

It seemed like they were putting a lot more luggage through them than usual, so you might want to think twice about bringing anything dubious down

I came through a few weeks ago with the following: (2) iPhones, (2) Vonage routers, (1) Dell PC, (1) TomTom GPS, (1) Sony Digital camera, (1) Flip video camera, (1) Apple MacBook Pro, and (1) Herman Miller Aeron chair. I paid the duty on the chair (50% on the amount over US $300) because it was in a huge box that made it impossible to avoid attention. I told them "todos las otras cosas son viejas" and they let me through with everything else.

I've come through several times in the last 6 months and find that its pretty random whether they ask people to go through the scanners or not. I have noticed that they seem to be checking more and more as time goes on though.

You have to be careful when you come from Miami, or when a flight coming from miami has just arrived. That is where the Argentines go to fill up their suitcases with electronics and stuff. :p We came in from Paris last week, 2 people, 4 big suitcases, no problem. I always look at which lane sits a man that does not watch the camera. There is always one who takes his job seriously, and another one who is bored to death and dreaming away.

Next to us was a woman in wheelchair with 4 suitcases, and she was stopped and interviewed...

The previous time my husband went alone there were huge waiting lines, he had 2 big suitcases and he asked 'puedo pasar' and the guy said OK.
My husband looks like an American...

That's bad news. I twisted a knee and will come back in a wheelchair, with three suitcases. Not duplicate electronics, however - just clothes, camping equipment and books, all new.

Sara

Back