F*ing Strike...is Visa Overstay An Issue?

tesstafarian

Registered
My flight to Brasil was canceled today (of course) and financially my best option is to book the trip for next week. But if I don't leave the country tomorrow I will have overstayed my 90 day Tourist Visa.

I'm not usually a rule breaker, and feel MUCH more comfortable leaving every 3 months as needed, but is the only REAL penalty for overstaying my Visa by a few days the $300 penalty fee? I plan on being here for at least the next year and pissing off customs or immigration isn't on my list of goals.

What are your honest thoughts? (Or personal practices?)

(Sorry to beat a dead horse, I know people chat about Visas a ton on here, but hoping to make a quick decision). I will now open a bottle of wine and drink the whole thing myself.

Yes, that's the only penalty. If you really don't feel comfortable which I understand, you could always jaunt over to Uruguay for the day before it expires. But esp with it only being a few days over, I highly doubt migraciones is going to be upset.

Thanks, I'm going to be a rebel and risk it; not worth an extra trip to Uruguay tomorrow (and the $50us for the trip).

No problem, some people live here since many years on a tourist visa. But you'll need to pay the fine at Migraciones (I guess you were supposed to leave from Newberry? -> unsure if you can pay the fine in this airport)

And you can request an extension too at Migraciones if your visa has not expired

Honestly, you will feel more comfortable if you go to Uruguay. What's the difference? 300 pesos vs 50 bucks for the Colonia trip? It will give you a little bit more of peace of mind. You're already saving money by rebooking the Brazil trip for next week. Will it be terrible if you overstay? No. But you will feel better if you don't. That's just what I sense from you. Best of luck whatever you decide.

No problem, some people live here since many years on a tourist visa. But you'll need to pay the fine at Migraciones (I guess you were supposed to leave from Newberry? -> unsure if you can pay the fine in this airport)

And you can request an extension too at Migraciones if your visa has not expired
Which one is greater, the US$50 Colonia trip or go to Migraciones and pay for the extension turist visa?

Went to migraiones the last time for extension. Will they do it again or was that only available once?

Honestly, you will feel more comfortable if you go to Uruguay. What's the difference? 300 pesos vs 50 bucks for the Colonia trip? It will give you a little bit more of peace of mind. You're already saving money by rebooking the Brazil trip for next week. Will it be terrible if you overstay? No. But you will feel better if you don't. That's just what I sense from you. Best of luck whatever you decide.

It's not $300 pesos. It costs over $700 pesos for the ticket, plus a simple salad in a restaurnt in Colonia cost around $200 Argentine pesos. I go several times a year. Each day trip which consists of one mail and the boat trip costs close to $100 US.

It's not $300 pesos. It costs over $700 pesos for the ticket, plus a simple salad in a restaurnt in Colonia cost around $200 Argentine pesos. I go several times a year. Each day trip which consists of one mail and the boat trip costs close to $100 US.

I'm comparing 300 pesos for the fine to the 50 dollars she mentioned for the ticket. Learn how to read properly.

I also mentioned that she would be buying peace of mind if she wants that. Geez

I do Colonia runs too.

Buy Colonia Express day ticket and eat a couple of delicious Panchos/Hungaras from the Food Truck on the right hand side of the Plaza :wub:

Back