fake bills

chilady

Registered
As I counted my money today, I realized I have a fake $100 bill---darn!! I only get $100's from my students and the bank---I can't imagine either giving me fake bills but I guess its a possibility??? I assume there is nothing I can do about it right except be more cautious in the future?

I have received fake 100 bills from the bank (one was the HSBC ATM in EZE). Also a taxi driver swapped me a fake one, and a night club doorman too, both embarrassingly drunk, Gringo moments.

It is not rude to check the bills, even with interactions between closer relationships like teacher-student.

rrptownley said:
It is not rude to check the bills, even with interactions between closer relationships like teacher-student.

After my friend was given a fake 20-peso-note last week (for sure in a club I am not going to anymore...) I now check every single bill, which comes into my hands, no matter where I am and from whom I have received it, better safe than sorry :)
Apparently it is not unusual that you get fake notes from ATMs, it is something, which also happens in India and I have heard more than one person complaining about that.

I got a bunch of $100s from the bank one time.

The space at the bottom below the writing was slightly different from one bill to the next. It turns out that that's totally normal. They all spent like real ones, so maybe they were/are.

Perhaps the same could be said for your bills.

[COLOR=Navy said:
chilady[/COLOR];95165]As I counted my money today, I realized I have a fake $100 bill---darn!! I only get $100's from my students and the bank---I can't imagine either giving me fake bills but I guess its a possibility???

PS- I would just chilax and not worry about it.

My room mate got the money from the money changer and gave them to me (couple of 100s). After I accidentally left them in my jeans and got them washed, we discovered 1 note is totally abnormal compared with others, the colour fades and all. If it was not washed, I don't think we'd ever realize it's fake.

My friend got another fake 20-peso-bill yesterday, I am not sure it was fake or not, as it really looked like a real one, normal size and texture, but when we paid our restaurant bill with it they came back to us saying that they had checked it under the light and that it was a fake one.

Uncle Dermot said:
My friend got another fake 20-peso-bill yesterday, I am not sure it was fake or not, as it really looked like a real one, normal size and texture, but when we paid our restaurant bill with it they came back to us saying that they had checked it under the light and that it was a fake one.

You should have asked if you could change the $20 with them so that you could pay with a real one.

One of the best tricks that I learned is that if you bend the upper left corner (where the shiny numeral is) in the shadow the sparkly ink will turn from green to black if the bill is real. If not, there will be no color tone shift. This is true for all peso notes!

Back