Fake News Motivations (For Non-Political Issues)?

camel

Registered
I've been following the story of a Mitsubishi MU-2 aircraft that took off from San Fernando Airport on Monday, and then disappeared. They've been searching for the aircraft all week, and haven't found it yet. There were at least 3 people on board. Here's an article covering the search so far:

http://www.lanacion....l-avion-perdido

My question is about some articles that came out earlier this week in cronica.com.ar, entitled "Hallan avioneta caída en el Delta con sus tripulantes muertos". This article clearly stated, "Personal de Prefectura, Gendarmería y de la Administración Naval de Aviación Civil encontró la aeronave con sus tres ocupantes fallecidos en el interior." In English, this says they found the aircraft with its 3 occupants dead. The problem is, it was completely false -- the aircraft hasn't been found. The article was originally at this link but it was deleted. Here's a link to Google's cache of the story:
http://archive.is/bNw8g

I can understand why some newspapers print "fake news" about political issues -- they want to sway the readers' opinions. But in this case, what motivation would a newspaper have to print a story that the plane had been found with 3 dead, when it clearly wasn't true (as of today, July 30). This same false story came out in several other publications too.

Maybe just jumping the gun to be first with the news. There was a report that metal objects had been found - which turned out to be something else....

Another theory; The crew may have turned off the transponder and headed to a secret landing destination in Argentina, Uruguay or Brasil. Flying undetected at low altitude, they had fuel to fly for four hours at a speed of 500 km/hr. They can be in a radius of 2000 kmts. . The plane may be inside a hangar.
The crew refused to return to San Fernando Airport as instructed by the Control Tower. Returning would have uncovered the working condition of the Transponder and jeopardized plans. :cool:

Maybe just jumping the gun to be first with the news. There was a report that metal objects had been found - which turned out to be something else....

Anticipating the story to get the scoop is the only logical thing I can think of here. However the metal object report came several days after the fake reports that the plane was found with dead crew.

Another theory; The crew may have turned off the transponder and headed to a secret landing destination in Argentina, Uruguay or Brasil. Flying undetected at low altitude, they had fuel to fly for four hours at a speed of 500 km/hr.

This is all possible. But the search is now very public, the crew's families are waiting for them to be found, etc. So if they did indeed intentionally "sneak" somewhere else and land, they're basically now "on the run", which probably won't last long.

Back