Fast Food In Ba?

Agreed stefano. I hope for the physical and mental health of all Portenos the fad for fast food is kept in check.

When I was there recently it was a delight not to see a MacDonalds of KFC on every street corner, and it shows in the physique of the locals! They are half the size of people here in Perth! Another thing, the supermarkets there are not full of 'energy' drinks, Mother, Red Bull and the like which represent a heart attack in a can if I ever saw one! In fact, I'll go further, I have never seen supermarkets so bereft of processed foods, and I have been to a fair few countries.....it was a delight.

I have read quite a few threads on this site about lack of food imports, or items not available, but is that necessarily a bad thing? In view of what I do, working with youth, I wish the same applied here. I live for the day that I can work with a group of young people who have gorged on fast food, and who aren't sugared out of their brains on energy drinks! Instead they would have access to basic non processed food produce. I don't know if the government has had anything to do with this, if so can I have CFK for a month...please..lol.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I just stumbled upon this article. [/background]http://www.buenosairesfoodies.com/[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] If fast food is catching on in BA then that could lead to an obesity epidemic not unlike the one we're facing here in the United States. God save us us all from McDonalds.[/background]

well hello!!!!! this is already a reality.just look around you.

People - again, Argentina is the 13th fattest country in the world. Obesity (although not acute as far as I can tell) already exists here and already is a problem. The Arg diet is not exactly a bastion of healthy foods - medialunas, pan, dulce de leche, alfajors,, speed, etc. Ring any bells? McDonalds is the least of the issues, esp at the pricepoint here.

I always thought Argentines were all very skinny until I went to a kid's party in the provincia de Buenos Aires. The parents were mostly overweight, but what got me were the 12 yr old girls, all with way too tight jeans and huge tummies hanging over the top. It went way beyond the baby fat before a growth spurt. Quite disheartening. So I think that the rich portenios in the areas I hang out in are skinny. The rest, I don't know.

Back