FBI Clearance

cujodu

Registered
I've been reading through old posts but there doesn't seem to be any current info. My question is, are they requiring the FBI clearance to be apostilled currently? Anyone recently got a work visa? My birth cert is being apostilled by the state but the FBI says they don't apostille their clearances (I thought I read that on their site). That's my final concern as everything else is in order now with job contract, Birth Cert, and the FBI check is on its way.

One more thing actually, how many copies of the birth cert do I need? I don't want to take two if they only require one.

Thanks

Recently a member posted that it as not necessary to have the FBI report receive the seal of the Apostille...

I got two certified copies of my birth ceritifcate and had them both receive the Apostille and both translated and legalized here. (The translator gave a discount on the second one.) Registro de las personas requires one whe you apply for the DNI. I also had the translator make a second legalized translation of my passport (no Apostille necessary) to submit to the registro. If anyone submitted photocopies of either or both to the registro I hope they will let us know, but I did not want to leave anything to chance. I received my DNI without any problems.

I recently got Residencia Precaria and when presenting my FBI documents it says on the list or requirements that it has to be legalized by an Argentine Embassy in the US jurisdiction that you live but when I contacted the US consulate for help (because there is no way I am going to be able to get my papers to my local US embassy) they told me that the FBI stuff cannot be apostilled but that they could write an extra explanatory letter informing migraciones of that fact if necessary.

I presented my FBI letter and fingerprints without apostille/explanatory letter and had no problem.

Oh! One thing to be careful about is to double check that your name is exactly the same on your passport as on your documents. For example if you a Jr., Sr., or may have a space in your last name that doesn´t appear on the other documents they can reject it in migrations and you have to go to the US Embassy to get a Same Person letter that proves you are the same person. I almost had problems because my last name had an extra space in it on my passport and not on my other documents.

Suerte

Well, I was able to get the fingerprints at my local police station, they were very very accommodating. I've sent them off to the FBI and I'll update this post when/if I get the clearance back.

I didn't have to have the FBI report apostilled either, only the birth certificate. And that was the first time I got residency. When I renewed my residency last month going on my 2nd full year, neither the FBI report or the birth certificate were needed or asked for to renew. Good luck.

Follow/Up
How often do you have to renew after you get the work visa?

You have to renew the work visa by the date that is stated on the "residencia transitoria" document. It's approximately 1 year after the you initiate the residency process, NOT a year after they issue you the document so pay close attention to those dates. Also get a head start before you renew as now they ask for several pieces of documentation in order for you to renew, such as several months of paystubs and proof all taxes are up to date with AFIP from the employer. Also migraciones often changes requirements, so if you are told to bring "X" document to renew bring it within a few days because if you wait weeks or months the requirements can completely change.

Update: I just received my FBI results, after 7 days. They're fast, or else I'm on their "list". haha. What they sent was a letter with the original fingerprint card attached with a stamp on the back stating "no criminal record". Is this what everyone is getting? I thought there would be a printout or something. From working in adoptions in the USA we always got a printout with the person's info showing whether or not they had a criminal history or not. Just want to be sure. Has anyone called for an appointment lately at immigrations for a work visa? How long is the lag time between the call and the appt? I ask because my tourist visa expires on May 19 and in a wishful world I could get the appointment before then. I guess I'll call Monday morning and find out. Thanks.

What they sent was a letter with the original fingerprint card attached with a stamp on the back stating "no criminal record". Is this what everyone is getting? I thought there would be a printout or something. From working in adoptions in the USA we always got a printout with the person's info showing whether or not they had a criminal history or not.
No, you won't receive any type of printout or anything accompanying the fingerprint card, just the card with the stamp. It sounds like what you have is standard.

Has anyone called for an appointment lately at immigrations for a work visa? How long is the lag time between the call and the appt?
The turnaround was pretty quick for me - a day or two (for the initial processing), but I had an immigrations attorney... not sure if that makes a difference or not. Also, FYI the line for someone with an attorney was very short. I spent maybe a total of 15 minutes there, and that includes the time I spent filling out my form.

My second appointment (to receive my visa, I'm assuming) is coming up in a few days. It's been about two weeks since my initial appointment, I'm assuming that timing is typical.

Back