FBI Clearance

Bianca said:
My second appointment (to receive my visa, I'm assuming) is coming up in a few days. It's been about two weeks since my initial appointment, I'm assuming that timing is typical.

Any idea what happens if my tourist visa expires between the initial appointment and actually receiving the visa? Just wondering.

cujodu said:
Any idea what happens if my tourist visa expires between the initial appointment and actually receiving the visa? Just wondering.

I don't have a tourist visa, so I have no clue. Sorry.

As you are applying for a resident (work) visa, have submitted all of the documents, and are just waiting to receive the "residencia precaria" you should be fine. Call migraciones and ask, just to be sure. If your Spanish isn't good enough, have a local call for you.

I called sometime last week and got an appointment for June 1st, so perhaps if you have an immigration lawyer they can get one faster. It's too bad because I am returning to the states before my appointment and have to send my finger prints to the FBI again (and seriously doubt they'll return before the appointment). I was planning to send my finger prints when I go to the states with a expedited return envelope for them to return with. Has anyone tried this before??

Sorry to keep getting back to this topic, but must you submit original the Birth Certificate/Apostille and FBI records with translation/certification or can you submit photocopies of these? I guess I'm asking if I have to physically meet the translator to give originals or if I can simply scan and send the digital files...

Popper said:
Sorry to keep getting back to this topic, but must you submit original the Birth Certificate/Apostille and FBI records with translation/certification or can you submit photocopies of these? I guess I'm asking if I have to physically meet the translator to give originals or if I can simply scan and send the digital files...

You need to give them the originals, ie. the ones that were issued by the appropriate agency but it doesn't have to be the birth certificate issued when you were born. Some people actually keep these!

I don't know about the translations.

There is a separate page where translator writes something like "I, this and that, translated this very document ...". He staples this page to the document, folds it and places his seal in a way that half of it is on this page and another half is on translated document.

I guess that means that ultimately it has to be the original document. May be he can translate the copies and attach the original when you will come to pick it up?

That's exactly what I'm wondering...if I can send them a digital copy, have it translated and certified and then just affix the original it would be easier. Also, I currently have a FBI criminal records check but since I'm returning to the states, will have to get another. I've told the translators that only a few items (namely the date) will change on this, so I'm hoping they can do everything except these fields and then just make the appropriate change with the new FBI check. Thanks for the help.

I have been using a translator and I send him scanned copies of everything, he translates it, then we meet and I give him the originals to staple and stamp and everything.

p.s. I called immigration this morning and the first available appt for visa applications is 17 June 2009. Does anyone know how long between the initial appointment and when you actually have the work visa?

Back