FBI Report: What if I haven't resided in any country but Argentina for last 3 years?

sesamosinsal

Registered
The Migraciones website states the following:

d) CERTIFICADO DE CARENCIA DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años.

and my translation as I understand it:

d) CRIMINAL RECORD issued by the authorities in countries where a foreigner has resided for more than ONE (1) year, in the last THREE (3) years. Only required of applicants older than 16-years.

I am a U.S. citizen, but I have not resided in the U.S. (or any country other than Argentina) for a year in the last three years. In fact, most of my time has been spent here in Argentina. So, my question is, do I even need the FBI Criminal Record if I have not resided in the U.S. for the last 3 years? Perhaps the answer to the question is obvious, but I'd like a confirmation either way...

FWIW, I'm trying to gather up what I need to apply for permanent residency, as I'm married to an Argentine citizen.

I was in the same boat and yes I needed to get a report from my country of residence..I decided it was easier than mentioning the 1+year I had spent in US before coming to Bsas. In Ireland at least it is so easy to get a police report and in fact my mother did it for me using a letter signed by me..good luck with it! Maybe you'll get a friendly official who decides to let you away without it...

Were you a legal resident of the US during the past 3 years? If so, yes, you'll need it. You will also need your Argentine criminal report obviously.

citygirl said:
Were you a legal resident of the US during the past 3 years? If so, yes, you'll need it. You will also need your Argentine criminal report obviously.

Thanks for your reply. According to the state of Missouri (previous residence), I would not be considered a resident because since 2009, I've not resided in Missouri for more than 183 days per year, and I do not maintain a permanent place of residence (don't own or rent anything in Missouri, not even a car). However, mail gets forwarded to a relative, and that includes my bank account statement, which would be enough to prove residency to get a drivers license. Confusing.

But I'm afraid this misses the point. The requirement, according to DNM, is that I have resided (i.e. lived) there for more than a year (not 183 days or even 360 days) in the last three years. In my case, I have not. Maybe Bajo_Cero can give his two cents as well?

Thanks, fifs and citygirl. :)

I say avoid the hassle of the explanation and just get the background check. It's super easy and you can do it online. Plus it's not very expensive.

Wisconsin said:
I say avoid the hassle of the explanation and just get the background check. It's super easy and you can do it online. Plus it's not very expensive.

It, to me, is a hassle. I'll do it if necessary, but it's almost more worth it to me to ask. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get fingerprints here, send it off, wait God-knows-how-long to get them, apostille, translation, blah, blah... and hope the fingerprints are actually valid/decent in the first place.

Hey Bradly, accept it as part of the drill. Nothing's going to happen in Migraciones until you have a US police report in hand. A friend, also married to an Argentine, played permatourist here for 6 years, during which time he set foot in the US only once, for a few days. But he still had to get the report.

Well, to expect common sense is too much.
At DNM you need it before starting while at the citizenship process they ask for it at the end.
Advantages? while PR is a lot of work for you and it also might means to spend money in many certificates (marriage, birth, etc), its apostilles and translations; for citizenship you just need simple xeroxs of your passport, a police address certificate and 2 witnesess (if you married abroad ). Citizenship is easier for you, perhaps more expensive and slower (about a year). However PR is not always fast.
Regards

I got my perm. residency without the FBI report. After 2 attempts and the FBI screwing it up twice they said I could just wait for the interpol report to come back instead which was fine with me. But you know..here in Argentina someone else may tell you no to that.

When I came to Argentina in 2007 I had previously lived in Spain for 6 years. I asked Spain for a police report and they refused claiming they only issued them for Spanish Citizens (I did comment about the 30,000 Euros tax which they had been happy to recieve from a non citizen, but to no avail). So I applied for a UK police report and never told migraciones about my 6 years in Spain. They never asked.

Back