February in BA

bez

Registered
Hello all,

I will be teaching English this Spring in Chile, and be in Santiago in January for some orientation before the school term starts in March, so I would like to spend 3-4 weeks in BA in the month of February. I have some questions.

What is the best (cheapest) way to get from Santiago to BA?

Are there apartments I could rent for a month, or should I stay in hostels?

I'm 22, and looking to meet as many people and experience new culture as possible. - What part of the city would be best to stay?

Any other pieces of information that you feel may help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Gracias.

Bus is cheaper than plane: about 24hrs altogether but travelling "cama" or ejecutivo" is as good as airline business class and you get a night's sleep (and usually your meals) for free. If you are a US Citizen or from another country which charges Argentine visitors a visa fee, you will have to pay a reciprocal entry fee to come into Argentina by air but will, I believe, avoid the fee if you come in overland. Fly in and - cloud cover permitting - you get a spectacular view of the Andes and the highest peak in the western hemisphere; drive over the Andes for a different sort of experience. You pays your money and you takes your choice. If this is likely to be a one-and-only trip, some of those factors might be more important to you than others.

Excellent advice, I would travel by bus as well, it must be a gorgeous trip.

Second what TarHeel Said...definitely get a monthly. Depending on your price range you can get some really nice places for a month. Definitely bring a fan...it will be hot. I would definitely go by bus, especially if you are from the US, you will avoid the surcharge. Depending on your timing, you may want to do the first week in a hostel to meet more people!

If you are interested, I think me and some friends are going to Carnival in Gualeguaychu (4 hr bus ride north of BA) for a weekend in February. You are more than welcome to join. Hope this helps!

A fan? Most temporary rentals have air conditioning. Make sure you check before renting. It is ESSENTIAL in the summertime here.

I made that trip by bus once. I highly recommend it. Maybe you could add a day or two stay at Mendoza, and get some winery trips too.
Good luck

Thanks everyone, sounds like is the bus is a great option, especially to avoid that fee.

I look forward to seeing most of the city as possible, so please fill me in on any events

Thanks all.

Back