Fees for Apartment Rentals –*Please explain

Huxley1234

Registered
Hi guys - ny fiancee (from BA) is looking for apartments in BA and she just told me we have to pay a fee equivalent to 2 months rent ONTOP of the deposit for first and last month's rent.

That is crazy; we aren't using any real estate agent, and we are finding the apartment ourselves online.

Is this fee real? Can anyone explain why it's in place? My fiancee can't - she just says we need to pay it. I'm hoping there's a justification before I throw several hundred dolars away.

Hi

If you go through an agent or company (online or not) they charge extortionate fees, other companies that own and manage specific buildings will charge an 'admin fee' which usually isnt that much. You may be lucky and find one of the few agents that charges the fee to the landlord or 'includes them in the rent' but your best bet is to try and find places direct with the landlord to avoid paying any extra fees like www.soloduenos.com . What kind of place are you looking for and when? Maybe I can help

Its the rental agency's commission probably. Although I'd assume she'd know that, so maybe its something else.

bseabrooke said:
Hi

What kind of place are you looking for and when? Maybe I can help

thanks! I am looking for a 1 bedroom to share with my fiancee –*long term rental. We have a modest budget –*but hopefully we can pay in USD and also we'd be open to paying several months in advance to lower the rate.

how can you help? PM me if you want :)

PhilipDT said:
Its the rental agency's commission probably. Although I'd assume she'd know that, so maybe its something else.

So... if we find it online (for instance ZonaProp)... all by ourselves... we still need to pay this fee?

Regular real estate agents charge two months rent as a fee, they also charge the owner.

If you want your property for a short period (up to 6 months) it may be better booking a holiday apartment. The short term rental agencies charge a booking fee of around us$50 and only charge the property owner for finding the client.

2 months is typically what real estate agencies charge. doesn't matter how you find the property if it's listed by the real estate agency you have to pay them the fee. the only way to avoid the commission is to rent owner direct. Most of the properties on zonaprop are listed by companies.

solerboy said:
Regular real estate agents charge two months rent as a fee, they also charge the owner.

I understand paying real estate agents a fee...but it seems we pay the fee even if we never use a real estate agent. How does the fee work>? What is it?

Huxley1234 said:
I understand paying real estate agents a fee...but it seems we pay the fee even if we never use a real estate agent. How does the fee work>? What is it?

If the property owner has signed an exclusive contract with a real estate agent to find a client and then that owner has found the client himself he will be liable for the real estate agents fees,whether or not the agent found the client.

I had a bad experience with a real estate agent with whom I had signed an exclusive contract, he did nothing to find me a client and when I found my own client I was sued for his fees.

This may not be the reason, but could be.

Huxley1234 said:
thanks! I am looking for a 1 bedroom to share with my fiancee –*long term rental. We have a modest budget –*but hopefully we can pay in USD and also we'd be open to paying several months in advance to lower the rate.

how can you help? PM me if you want :)

we are shortly moving out of our lovely 'modest' place which we rent privately with the landlord that you might be interested in as there are no fees, where abouts in the city do you want to be and when are you looking to move. not sure how to pm you. whats your email?

Back