Finally someone's paying attention to the increase in violence

“Nowadays we see an increasing number of criminals and robbers, and if we don’t conduct a joint work to control illegal activities at slums, unfortunately this type of cases will turn into something common.”

Hopefully this is actually serious and not just a smoke-and-mirrors ploy to just placate the public. I think that would have a huge effect on the crime here, if they actually policed the villas. And of course, on the other side, it also relies on the courts actually punishing criminals with steeper sentences instead of the usual slap on the wrist.
It's actually pretty crazy that there is practically no police presence in the villas. In NYC and cities throughout the US, at least there is police presence in the "projects" or "ghettos" (i still wouldn't go as far as say some of those neighborhoods are safe, but at least they have something of an effect on crime).
Well, we'll see, at least an official is acknowledging the situation here :-/

jreznyc said:
“Well, we'll see, at least an official is acknowledging the situation here :-/

Yeah. Sadly it took the murder of a police officer for them to realize things were bad.

Increased policing of the slums is obviously necessary and long overdue, but it will do little to address the root of the problem, I would be interested to hear how that is being tackled?

The situation may have been acknowledged, but it's doubtful anything really positive will come of it. Par for the course in this country - all talk, no do.

“Unfortunately it was the Metroppolitan’s police first casualty

This is a great example of the horrible writing/proofreading skills at the Herald. How many problems can you find in just this one sentence?

The paper is a shadow of its former self.

Try to get through the majority of the Herald's editorials. The opinions given may have merit, but the writing is ghastly, as if Jane Austin had popped a couple of oxycontin and then put pen to paper, with the complete Oxford dictionary at her side.

Criminals should be punished for their actions but that wont stop the crimes from happening. Police patrolling the villas sadly wont do much either. Everyone knows how the police are here sadly enough. The city needs to develop projects that bring new life to the slums. Put something there that attracts the attention of locals and tourists alike . So the people from these slums can sell a service or a good and then they wont need to commit any crime. I have no idea what will actually work but i know have more police patrol wont do a dam thing

Back