Finding A Job In Public Relations/advertising/communications

LenaSophia2

Registered
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hi! I am planning on moving to Buenos Aires next year following graduation in PR/Advertising. I have experience in one of the biggest media agencies in the world (who has an office in BsAs) and might be interning with a big PR agency in the summer (also has offices in BsAs). I speak Castellano fluently and have previously lived in BsAs. Is there a chance of me getting an entry-level job at a creative agency? Is it necessary to know someone to get a job in this area? I am banking on my bilingualism, experience and writing skills, but am wondering if that would be enough for them to choose me over an recent Argentine graduate.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Thank you in advance for the advice/comments! [/background]

@joeschmoe1902 I am a US resident but plan on getting either a work visa or just continually renewing the 90 day visa until I can apply for dual-citizenship after two years.

@joeschmoe1902 I am a US resident but plan on getting either a work visa or just continually renewing the 90 day visa until I can apply for dual-citizenship after two years.

Dr. Bajo Urgent

The work visa is dependent on getting a company to hire you, and they have to do just enough paperwork for the process that if there is a local candidate they most likely will just take them instead.

Argentina is easy to enter without resolving your immigration status. Working here legally on the other hand, is an entirely different story.

Yes, Argentina is a lot about who you know. You can try classifieds and sending out your CV and you may get lucky, however if you are not living here it will be even more difficult than usual to get someone to return your calls. I'm a bit confused as to your level of experience -- you say you have experience but haven't yet graduated -- did you go back to school, or what exactly is your level of experience. You should be aware that although you may be competing against other recent graduates, locals work their whole way through university, and some of them will be lucky enough to have been working in advertising or PR firms for that time -- and when I say work, I don't mean they work in the summers, they work part- to full-time and then go to university classes in the evening (many at 10pm at night). The pay they have been getting during that time may be terrible, but it means that they could have racked up quite a few years experience in a firm before even getting hired. As a foreigner, if you have the financial possibilities of doing so and you find yourself not getting any job offers here, you may want to go the route of trying to get a pasantia (internship) at one of the firms here.

@syngirl Sorry for the late reply--I will be attending graduate school at Univerisdad de Belgrano for 15 months so I could get a pasantia during that time. I think that would be the best bet.
Thank you for the input!

Back