Finding a TEFL job

Darialucia

Registered
I just got TEFL certified & although I don’t plan on moving to BA until summer ‘21 I’m already worrying about finding a job. I’ve spoken with a couple of expats on social media all of whom say they just drop off their resume at a bunch of different schools until one of them calls them back. I figured there has to be a website or something that lists job openings for English teachers. Does anybody know if such a thing exists? Just so I can bookmark it for future reference

With a pandemic now roaring to life and bound to burn through Buenos Aires and beyond for at least a couple of years, and the economy predicted almost universally to be about to enter it's worst crisis, the likelihood that English language schools will be offering face-to-face teaching by next summer seems low. CUI (University of Buenos Aires) language teachers are currently delivering online classes. One I know has told me her prívate clients have already disappeared. I have no information about the market for teaching children, but I imagine one would have to go through normal immigration channels, with a school willing to sponsor you through that process.

Just wondering...

If Online teaching becomes the trend Schools in BA, in the future, may engage online teachers from Wherever. Bolivia , Mexico, Philippines?

You could establish a presence in BA now at least virtually with a free (or paid), 1h class 5 or 3 times a week with any of the "meet" apps, if you had the time. Outside chance of making a connection in the mean time. Maybe stupid idea, but I am totally amazed at our experience. After 2 years planning we were scheduled to land in BA earlier this month. Of course that was SC. Instead my wife is continuing her university classes, but now conducting 3 2-hour classes a week from our home - pretty much like the rest of the world. I wondered about the outcome as we were setting it up, but everyone, everyone jumped right in and adjusted. Many of the students are attending with their phones and many are stranded in remote locations. As amazed as I am, it was not totally unexpected. Every laptop in the world has been capable of this for more than a decade. You could do this from the moon. And it's not going away after covid is under control. No lost hours & expenses commuting, I'm thinking about all the university students struggling to get into the highly competitive public universities and how poor countries could educate far more students if they didn't need to provide expensive sprawling campuses.

I just got TEFL certified & although I don’t plan on moving to BA until summer ‘21 I’m already worrying about finding a job. I’ve spoken with a couple of expats on social media all of whom say they just drop off their resume at a bunch of different schools until one of them calls them back. I figured there has to be a website or something that lists job openings for English teachers. Does anybody know if such a thing exists? Just so I can bookmark it for future reference

Try teachway.com, but at the moment listings are a fraction of what they would be during normal times. It also wouldn't hurt to reach out to International House Buenos Aires.

I agree virtual classes are convenient, but in my opinion they are no match for a real classroom experience, shared with students from many different backgrounds. I learned as much from classmates as I learned from my professors.

Back