Fine for expired visa when leaving.

amorphous face said:
Last time I left with an expired visa it cost me 300 pesos. Has the fine gone up?

I paid this in August. ~August 7th or so.

Does anyone know if having an expired tourist visa will affect your ability to get a DNI?

Has anyone paid the fine at the Buquebus? Is it as easy as at the airport? Also what about the domestic airport? I am about a year overdue but need to "refresh" my tourist visa, in order to apply for a student visa. Thanks

Yeah i'd like to know also about paying at Buquebus instead... I'm expired until I go to the states in Dec. but I want to make a trip to Colonia this spring to visit, and also to get out of the waiting in that massive line at EZE when I leave. Please let me know if you know how it works at Buquebus!

NickBA said:
Does anyone know if having an expired tourist visa will affect your ability to get a DNI?

You have to pay the fine and get yourself "regularized" before you can apply for residency. This may mean you have to leave the country (paying the fine) and come back before you can make the application. You may be able to just pay the fine at Migraciones and regularize yourself if you're not over your legal time in country - although that particular finer point I'm not sure about.

I was doing the Colonia visa run before I applied for residency, so when I applied, I had already done the run and was within my 90 day window of having a stamp (but not an official visa - that's another discussion that has been discussed repeatedly in other threads). that was the last run I did - once I had the Precaria (the paper they issue on successful application of residency) I could enter and leave as a resident.

Another thing to note - once you have the precaria, you need to continue to renew it until your residency is approved. It costs around $40 pesos (at least used to as of about a year and a half ago). Mine expired every thirty days and I would usually just go to Migraciones when I needed to leave the country and pay for all of the past months since I'd last renewed it.

I had paid the fine twice while I was still a permatourist. It was never mentioned during the residency process.

As far as getting the actual DNI - you won't be in an "irregular" status if you've already applied for residency, so it's a non-issue.

I've paid the fine in Buquebus and it was easy, from what I recall you have to go upstairs through the security part and pay at a window, then go back down and check in.

GauchoBlade said:
Is the fine cheaper than the Buquebus itself these days?

If you value your time AT ALL, then "yes".

If you don't, then you could go to Uruguay for less than the fine.

-Subte or Colectivos to Puerto Madero North or "South" (practically La Boca)
-Discounted mid-week ticket
-Don't buy anything on the boat
-Don't buy anything in Uruguay
-Don't buy anything on the boat
-Subte/Colectivos home.

But if you even happen to consider stepping into the Duty-Free shop on a Buquebus, you're budget is basically toast.

Back